Another statement to add to the mix. Paul

J. Paul Everett JPESeeker at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 20:58:02 PDT 2001

The following is a statement released by the Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh in
response to the violence in New York and Washington DC on September 11th:

CULTIVATING COMPASSION TO RESPOND TO VIOLENCE: THE WAY  OF PEACE

All violence is injustice. Responding to violence with violence is
injustice, not only to the other person but also to oneself.  Responding to
violence with violence resolves nothing; it only escalates violence, anger
and hatred.  It is only with compassion that we can embrace and disintegrate
violence.  This is true in relationships between individuals as well as in
relationships between nations.

Many people in America consider Jesus Christ as their Lord, their spiritual
ancestor and their teacher.  We should heed His teachings especially during
critical times like this.  Jesus never encourages us to respond to acts of
violence with violence.  His teaching is, instead, to use compassion to deal
with violence.  The teachings of Judaism go very much in the same direction.

Spiritual leaders of this country are invited to raise their voices, to
bring about the awareness of this teaching to the American nation and
people.  What needs to be done right now is to recognize the suffering, to
embrace it and to understand it.  We need calmness and lucidity so that we
can listen deeply to and understand our own suffering, the suffering of the
nation and the suffering of others.  By understanding the nature and the
causes of the suffering, we will then know the right path to follow.

The violence and hatred we presently face has been created by
misunderstanding, injustice, discrimination and despair.  We are all
co-responsible for the making of violence and despair in the world by our
way of living, of consuming and of handling the problems of the world.
Understanding why this violence has been created, we will then know what to
do and what not to do in order to decrease the level of violence in
ourselves and in the world, to create and foster understanding,
reconciliation and forgiveness.

I have the conviction that America possesses enough wisdom and courage to
perform an act of forgiveness and compassion, and I know that such an act
can bring great relief to America and to the world right away.

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh will be fasting from the 21st-30th September
as a way of prayer in action.  He invites all of his friends and disciples
to join him in this prayer  and meditation, wherever you may be and for
however long you wish, in order to embrace all those who have died and all
who are suffering from the recent  tragedy.  Those who plan to participate
in this act of peace may like to e-mail us at mfmaster at vermontel.net, and to
write a letter to the President and to their Congresspeople to inform them
of your intentions.
On Tuesday, 25 September, the Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh will visit New York
City and give a public talk at the Riverside Church at 7pm.  He will be
addressing the relevant issues of peace in action and the cultivation of
compassion.  The event is free.  All are welcome to attend.  For updated
information, please visit our website, www.plumvillage.org.