Apologiy/ How to use resources; How is Bin Laden just like the rest of us?

Julie Hotard julie at pinefish.com
Tue Sep 18 23:09:03 PDT 2001

Hi, Chris

I am so sorry if my previous communication
sounded like I was saying that poorer people
have nothing to offer.  I certaninly don't believe
that.  Some of the poorest and most disabled
folks I have personally worked with are
an inspiration to me.

The choices that you mention about how to use
resources are personally a struggle for me--
choices about how to spend my energy,  money,
time, and spirit.  I did some very meaningful work
that seemed quite useful and helpful to people in great
need for around 15 years.  But then I felt very burnt out.
It was a great relief to take a break and do more superficial
and less meaningful seeming work.

With my money I am aware that my government
here in the U.S. takes tons of it yearly in income
taxes-- enough to feed tons of people during the
next year-- but then uses that money mostly to do
other things, most of which I personally do not want
done.

With my after-tax income I also have difficult
decisions.  I have contributed hundreds of dollars
to the Red Cross recently.  Was it enough?  Was it
too much?  Should some of that have gone to my
niece's college tuition fund?  How responsible
should I feel financially, political activism-wise
etc. for multiple sufferings going on in multiple
areas of the globe?  It could easily get
overwhelming, even to try to keep track of it all,
much less contribute.  Should priority go to
the folks whose lives my own government,
against my will, has made worse?

I hope I have not created ill feelings between us.
If I have, I am sincerely sorry about that.  This is
a difficult time for many of us in North America
and in the world all over, and emotions are running
intensely.  I do not want to send even a tiny drop of
pain toward anyone, least of toward someone making
such a major contribution to the world by working with
the populations you work with.

Peace,

Julie