Pentagon seeks ideas

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 31 14:33:38 PST 2001

At 11:55 AM 10/31/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Now here's a pretty radical idea.  The Pentagon has put out a request for
>ideas for combating terrorism.  How about offering them open space?

Actually the folks that really need some help -- and frankly folks I would
feel more comfortable helping -- are the Public Health Services of the good
old USA (and I guess world-wide). Understaffed, under-budgeted,
bureaucratic to the nth degree -- these folks are called upon now to
respond to something most have never seen, and on a timetable the is
measured in minus quantities. Call it Anthrax -- or whatever comes next.
And although some people call this a "public health system" -- that is a
very broad use of the term. In most cases the lines of authority are vague
or non-existent -- and even the "top of the line" folks at CDC have to put
together teams of disparate folks in an instant, in order to deal with
highly complex, conflicted issues -- with immediate and dire consequences.
Screw up, and people die. Now there is an appropriate use for Open Space.
Any ideas? Contacts?

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive