Some reflections on OST, Bin Laden, etc.

Alan Stewart alan.stewart at senet.com.au
Sun Oct 21 19:51:48 PDT 2001

A propos the comments of Harrison and Joelle on this (below) on working
within the informal system and perhaps not knowing what can't be said and
done:

I had the experience of working as a non physician or laboratory scientist
in a medical school. (My field at the time was Nutrition).

In this situation people did not know what to make of me. For a long time
neither did I! - and I'm still wondering!!

What I did come to appreciate is that, while I had no 'power' in an
orthodox sense I could have substantial influence. And so I took the
libertty
of saying things which noone else would dare to.

I had enormous fun in doing so, including acquiring skills in presentation
and hiring a red sports car specifically in order to make an impact at a key
gathering of all faculty members and other stakeholders.

This was in the course of deliberations about switching to a graduate entry
curriculum  - similar to that in the US - from one in which students entered
directly
from high school.

My 'feral' activitues had a considerable bearing on the formulation of a
Vision and Goals for the new curriculum, through the Dean inviting me to be
a member of a three person group to come up with a guiding document on
these.

As a consequence the underpinning philosophy of the new curriculum has a
different balance from more traditional medical training, with a more
humanitarian
focus and a lesser emphasis on scientfic knowedge and technical skills.

Good to converse, with love

Alan
Adelaide