OST with local Catholic Diocese

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 19 18:09:45 PDT 2001

Larry --

Larry Peterson wrote:

> In my work with a lot of church organizations, there have been hymns,
> prayer, mediation, etc.  Sometimes as a framing event before opening
> space or after the close, or in the evening.  These activities have
> often happened within OS but according to the principles and law.  That
> is, if a group wanted to pray or sing or meditate they could and did.
> They did not impose it on the others however.  Some who want "everyone"
> to pray use it as a power tool to get back to "old time" religion and
> their desire for control.  Most of the events I have led, but not all
> have been with Anglicans and Protestants, and with a few Catholic
> Orders.  Closing with song can be great.  The closing circle is a prayer
> in which all participate as far as I'm concerned.

It is true, that I can sense from some of our participants that asking for
"everyone" to pray is not only a tool for control and getting back to "old
time" religion, but also ... well, a couple of things.  I think there are a
lot of constructed experiences in this Church, and seemingly unconstructed,
unformalized, unfamiliar ones (like OST) might really unsettle some people
who really depend on the known.  That of course is the battle this Diocese
is encountering as it transforms.  People holding on too tight to rituals or
controlled circumstances which no longer resonate for many people.  The
spirit chafing among the constraints and wriggling to get out.

I agree that closing circle is a prayer in which all participate, as is any
well-designed closing activity.  And this is sacred stuff, even in a
non-Church environment.

But ... and we are still designing Weekend #2, so this all could change ...
I think of many ways to provide a safe space for everyone, both in and out
of the actual Open Space time.  And you know how welcome for some people a
quiet room, or a yoga room, is for people attending an all-talk event like a
conference.  So we are thinking about setting up a prayer / meditation
room.  It will even be a singing room at some times.  For spontaneous prayer
in whatever its forms.  And we are going to book a Mass, like the last time,
in that room, as an optional evening (or early morning) activity.  But
that's all we are going to book.  And I think we will continue to design
prayer into the Morning News and Evening News, Opening and Closing -- but as
before prayer constructed to life and expand the energy when that is needed
for the Open Space.

I realized we were treating prayer like Space Invaders when we first bumped
into some people wanting everything to stop for prayer.  And maybe there's a
way to both allow for prayer (as we would for other cultural aspects of a
group that might interweave into our OS environment or process) and to
embrace prayer (by choosing carefully to use each time to augment the energy
we are creating / allowing with our principles and law) and also let prayer
happen whenever people open up a prayer session, just like any other
session.

This particular OS is full of firsts for me, like designing prayer
activities rather than saying whatever happens happens.  But in this
instance, I think it has helped weave in a large cultural element / dynamic.

Of course we'll never know what might have happened if I hadn't "messed with
it" ;o)    !

Lisa
--
L i s a    H e f t