OST with local Catholic Diocese (long)

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 19 17:55:37 PDT 2001

"Artur F. Silva" wrote:
>Very interesting, Lisa.
I would never believe that this was possible within the Catholic
Institution... But probably American Catholics are different
from the ones I know in Portugal and Spain - after all it was
in Spain and Portugal that the Inquisition was invented, an that
was a terribly efficient way to "close the space"...<

Well, dear Artur, I will have to let the other American Catholics (or 'recovering
Catholics', or returning Catholics) give you a sense as to whether the American
Catholics are different from the ones you may know.  I am not Catholic.  I do know
that some years ago there was the "Vatican 2" message from Rome that things will
have to reflect more the needs of the people if the Church is to remain alive into
the future.  Maybe someone on this list can further explain that.  But I do know
that, as you may well imagine, some Church leaders are bringing the Church into
the future and some are clinging to the known, fearful of the unknown / change /
transformation, and even doing quite a bit to try to keep things in the Dark Ages
that you describe.

You wrote:
<And it seems that the Catholic Diocese of San Jose will soon
became another model for the Open Space Organization. Very
interesting, indeed.>

A marvelous reminder that there are OS-thinking people within many institutions,
eh?  Of course, these are often also the ones who try to help those institutions
transform, and sometimes the waiting and the difficulty of being the very few
cause them to leave for other organizations, eventually.  But sometimes,
sometimes, they (we) are there to see the change.... !!  And the people I am
working with are truly 'members of our tribe'.  And really wonderful, visionary
leaders...

You wrote:
<One question: shouldn't critical issue #4 (the organizational one) be
also a heading for some of the 500 (!) "recommended strategies"?>

Good point.  There were a good number of people from the organizational working
group in the large OS.  So they actually brought up these topics and used this for
expanding on strategies.

You also wrote:
<And a final observation: even if you were describing a very spirited
event, I think that you have never used the word "Spirit". But you
have used "breath" a lot. I think that it has been written that
one shall not use the name of God in vain. Maybe the same
should also be said about Spirit - especially has the word is
more and more used in marketing materials, and even commercials.
So I wonder if "breath", after all, is not the word that should be used
instead...>

Hmmm.  The breath and the breathing is so very present in the circle.  And it is
true, the breathing, from the "Oh Shit!" that Harrison describes as the moment OS
can come into many organizations, to the breathing between each ring of the
Tibetan bells, to the breath I often have to remind people to take when they are
feeling a bit full or conflicted.

It turns out that when we return for Weekend #2, we will as part of our opening
show the group a picture of how their work fits into the larger journey as the
organization comes toward the end of this strategic planning process.  Picture  a
point, which is the clarifying of the mission.

.

Then an expansion outward, that is the data gathering process where the
organization met with so many of its constituents and neighbors to identify
issues.

 .
<>

Then in again, as data was analyzed and the three/four issues were identified.

 .
<>
 .

Then out again, as we Open Spaced it.

 .
<>
 .
<>

And after Weekend #2, in again, as we will have identified 5 hot issues in each of
the three/four areas.  And so on.  Into the next calendar year, as then out again
as all 52 parishes do whatever it is they feel will achieve those goals.  Then in
again for a report back event.

So you see, not only do you have an inoutinoutinout, but picture now your hands
holding a small accordion (known as a concertina).  In, out, in, out.  Like
breathing.  Like the bellows fanning a fire of spirit, as Jeff says.  Like the
Polka of Life, I now say laughing.  But seriously, the breath...

...is always present...

Breathingly (laughingly, sighingly, catching my breath in wonder),

Lisa

--
L i s a    H e f t
Consultant, facilitator, educator