550 plus! AND WHAT ABOUT 5,0000?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 19 06:21:47 PDT 2001

At 01:22 PM 10/19/01 +0700,  Elena wrote:
>So now  my question. Is this idea OK? when there will be really crowd of
>people, but there will not be real dialogue, as yesterday, when people
>were limited by 1 minute and evaluation like "you are promoting yourself"...
>
>if there will be like 5 topics:
>
>1. . Institutions of Civic Society
>2.  NGOs in Legislative process
>3. Civic initiatives in solving social problems
>4. Civic expertise and Control on government affairs (people were very
>much in this!)
>5. Civic education and civic activity
>
>and different halls and possibility to use different "talking conners"
>
>we propose to provide one in Novosibirs for everybody who cares, but there
>were a lot of negatives from the "presidium" and so there were no real
>discussion on this. Marina wants to talk with regional authorities as
>there will be regional meeting soon, to try, so I support her greatly and
>if she will have time and forces to do this before her "difficult" efforts
>to go to Izrael, as there should be invitation on real stationary paper,
>(it is a time for post...) and visa - to go to Moscow- and tickets... and
>so on after, so we are ready to try and show (we know it works) but to
>show for other people and do you think it is real for 5,000?

It is certainly worth a try. The major question, I think would be
sufficient time and space. Time -- so folks could have a real discussion,
and space -- so they don't trample each other in the process. Given both
time and space, I would think about 2-3 simultaneous OS's in different
spaces -- on the same theme. In similar situations we have used
computers/Internet to connect the several spaces. As issues are posted in
any space, they are posted in all. When reports are generated, they are
available in all. Obviously, this requires both the equipment and the
expertise to get it done. If you don't have either (equipment and
expertise) seems to me you suggestion would work as well as any.

Harrison