OST with local Catholic Diocese (long)

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Thu Oct 18 09:19:46 PDT 2001

Lisa,

This sounds like the perfect case for my favorite form of convergence.  Do
an Open Space.  The question is something along the lines of "what is the
essence of our work to reach our aspirations?"  The opening is one
encouraging focus rather than divergence.  It is an invitation to look
within and ask where personal passion rests for reaching the desires of the
whole.

I did this for the Washington State Arts Commission strategic planning
effort.  They had held a series of open spaces around the state to explore
arts and culture in the state.  The OS for convergence had people from all
over the state.  We posted the flip chart notes from all twenty OSs on the
walls(big room!) .  We also printed booklets with the reports.  After saying
hello in the circle, people took about an hour to look through all the
materials, sitting with the question of what was essential from their
perspective.  We followed this with an OS asking what was essential for the
future of the arts in our state; where did they personally wish to dedicate
their energy?  We ran one very long session that started before lunch and
continued following lunch.  This worked really well in that people went
really deep in their planning.  The lunch break gave people a little
distance so they came back refreshed to continue their work.  We held a
"bazaar" at the end where one person stayed with the flip charts and
answered questions, noted reactions from others who visited the various
discussions.  Then, a closing circle.

Peggy

Peggy