500 plus

Douke Oostenbrink - Harrison Gifford Change networks! d.oostenbrink at harrison-gifford.com
Tue Oct 16 14:39:56 PDT 2001

I facilitated an open space for 350 participants. We had a large room and 8 smaller rooms.
First there was an openning by the members of the board. People were sitting in theatre rows.
Then the last speaker announced another speaker of very high level. This was an actor on wooden legs.
he jabbertalked to the audiance showing a magic act. This act went wrong. Then he knew another act, showing a roll wool. He threw it tot a person in the audiance acting tot throw it to another en then the music started and 15 rolls wool were thrown in the audiance. Two minutes later everyone was connected! There was a lot of laughing while they were throwing and it was fascinating to see all this.

Then I asked the audiancne to create space by taking their chair and putting it in a circle. 4 rows in the circle and then I invited participants to look around and see with whom they were connected. Opening the space and it processed itself. 52 themes to be discussed gathered in one hour raising full attention.

I made copys of the law en the principles in every room. Groups were formed from 10 till 40. But even in the group of 40 there was an intens listening.

What went wrong was the report. There were 4 secretaries typing but the bottleneck was the copier Imgine 350 x 15 pages x 1 minute = 6 hour!

Duration was 1 day (from 10.30 - 17.00) Report out was (to) short. Reaction were enthousiastic.
If you need more specific information please ask.
Good luck and enhoy it
Douke Oostenbrink (netherlands)

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Terry Gibson
  To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
  Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 7:26 PM
  Subject: 500 plus

  I'm preparing for an OS meeting over two days for an anticipated 500 to 600 people. This is stretching my experience which has yet to reach the 200 mark. So I'd appreciate tyhe list's collective advice and experience in facilitating such a number. Client is an educational institution who will include the surrounding community.

  Specific concerns centre around the melee of the marketplace, and convergence/action planning with so many.

  Any suggestions much appreciated.

  Terry Gibson