500 plus

Eiwor Backelund eiwor.backelund at centerpartiet.se
Tue Oct 16 11:05:53 PDT 2001

Hi Terry,
I did a large OS meeting this summer, about 700 to start with but about
300 that really participated. This was because it was an annual meeting
and 700 always come and they were invited to take part but some choose to
do other things, like the Law of two feet.

We had to think a lot about the logistics. The fire captain said we were
not allowed to have loose chairs on the floor and we had to have wide
corridors out of the circle in case of fire. So we had to connect the
chairs and that made the circle more square like. The process still worked
because when I opened the space I went round in a circle and talked about
the circle and I think they had the feeling of a circle.
We had the opening in a sports arena and also used the stands for people
to sit on instead of chairs and it still worked. The break-out spaces were
created in the class rooms in a school next door. We did not use computers
and did not do any action planning so I don´t know how that would have
worked. We had two cafées in the school and one in the sports arena and
that worked. People went there and fetched what they wanted when they
wanted it.
I could have done one more thing about the closing circle, there were
still more chairs left than those who participated which meant people
spread out and I had to walk the microphone round the circle, still it
worked but if I do this another time I think I will try to estimate how
many are really participating and coming to the closing and how many that
were only there of curiousness in the start.
I suppose I have forgot many things but I suppose there are many more
people out there with the experience. Also if you ask specific questions,
I try to answer them.
And then, as my friends told me, Go on and just do it the way you always
do it.

Eiwor Backelund