Annual meetings and OST

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Sun Oct 14 14:04:24 PDT 2001

Over the years I have worked with many organizations, primarily church
or non-profit, who have Opened the Space as part of an annual meeting of
one sort or another.  Since Annual Meetings in Canada and the US tend to
have formal or legal function, there has always been some time that was
not in Open Space and that was for the necessary decisions.

In a few instances, these have been church groups that held an Open
Space before the decision making sessions.  In other cases it was to
deal with a major issue or change in funding or environment.  Just
recently, a union held its annual local leadership conference with one
day of mandated activity (from previous decisions) and then one day of
Open Space to engage local leadership in thinking about the future.

I have not yet had the experience of an organization that dealt with all
of the mandated and future directions issues in Open Space at a formal
Annual Meeting.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation