Opening Space Outside

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Oct 2 16:33:52 PDT 2001

I've used a similar strategy to Harrison's to move people from a crowded
college classroom down a couple of flights of stairs and out onto a plaza,
where the single file of people holding hands followed easily into a circle.
Worked like a charm and made a very nice beginning.

Unless your pinboards will hold thumbtacks very well, I think I would go for
lots of heavy-duty tape.  In Siberia we used flipchart paper and light
posterboard for posting charts on moveable boards.  3-4 strips of 2" tape was
the most reliable method we found for attaching.  Heavier paper is one answer
to blowing, but you can also tape down the bottom of the sheet.

>From the Siberian conference, I have a picture of the lecture-style room
before we began.  We formed a circle in the open space at the front of the
room, and used the theater-style seating only for breakout spaces for small
groups.  Your spirit will make much more difference than the physical
facility!

Joelle Everett
Shelton, Washington USA
jleshelton at aol.com