Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 29 06:12:33 PST 2001

Kenoli and Paul,

I thank you both for sharing your posts on the listserve.  I have been
enriched and inspired.

Kenoli wrote>
We are all living in a world that has failed us.  And we are each others
hope.  We are each others relief from pain, but not a relief that
shields us from our grief, but rather a relief that can be with us in
our grief.  We need to face and hold the truth.  We need to be willing
to suffer, to hold our grief, to be willing to take actions that heal,
not actions that deny and perpetuate the very conditions that support
suffering.  This is my truth.<

My response to the above quote is that WE are the world and we are
co-creating a world where we fail ourselves and each other on a regular
basis.  In shielding ourselves from our own grief and that of others
(all the while using various substances and processes to numb ourselves
so that we can do this - alcohol, drugs, $$$, TV, sex, rigid
religiosity, etc...) we rob ourselves from the authentic feeling that
might give rise to a 'No more suffering, please!' sentiment and
motivation.  The only way out is through.

Paul wrote>
The human condition arises from the fact that we aren't fully conscious
(see next paragraph) but think we are.<

I totally agree - and would add that, in some cases, we do not see the
value or importance of becoming conscious.  In other cases, we are
afraid of what we might become conscious of - afraid that we are bad,
not good enough, etc...

Paul wrote>
America is for the underdog.  Look at our movies, how they portray the
Horatio Alger story all the time.  All the Rocky movies, the Karate Kid
movies, all portray the underdog who triumphs in the end.  It's our
archetypal story.  The only time when societal opprobrium will be heaped
on your head is if you stop trying.  That's the great archetypal sin in
America, not to try.<

Paul - I do agree that the 'underdog triumphing' story is an archetypal
pattern in the US.   There is much power and hope in this story, as in
the US.
Work with story is my primary business - so I will comment here.  If
this is the only pattern - or the predominant one around which much else
is organized - then the US is exceptionally vulnerable in the following
way.  The underdog is the victimized good guy and in order to triumph
there must always be a perpetrating bad guy.  The polarity that is
activated here is self-fulfilling.  The US, as you know, has created its
own 'bad guys' on numerous occasions - only to have to topple them
later.  In mythic and psychological terms, this suggests an adolescent
stage of development.  In the next stage, good and evil are much more
ambiguous - in fact, this notion is both included and transcended
(both/and).

Paul wrote>So, we do have faults, we do make mistakes, but we have the
biggest heart of any nation on earth.  I believe earlier in the OSList
there was the editorial
from Canada about who rushes to all the disasters of the world.  The
US.  Who
rushes to our disasters.  Virtually no one.<

Paul, I am curious as to why you felt the need to assert that the US has
the biggest heart of any nation on earth!   Ouch!!!  This creates, for
me, an artificial boundary - I am surprised...  It seems a justification
or defense when I don't think either are required.  The US and its
people are like the rest of us - suffering, human, gloriously flawed and
doing the best they know to date.  The real issue for me is - As a
world, is our current best good enough?
As for the idea that no one is rushing to aid the US in its disaster - I
have 2 things to say:
1) Please visit the following website for pictures of people from many
countries mourning for and with America:
My own fear is that this sentiment of empathy and compassion was
devalued... the message was 'We feel your suffering.  We know suffering
too.'
2) The US is the richest and strongest nation on earth...  despite this,
I personally know several Canadians who 'rushed' to NY to offer their
crisis intervention and disaster relief skills - at personal expense,
both financially and emotionally.

Paul wrote>
So, we should begin to forgive ourselves and others, work on our own
consciousness, and try not to project our inner hostilities onto other
systems, peoples and governments.<

Yes, of course.  We 'should' also own our own 'top dog' ways - make
peace with them, if you will.  In this way, we will be relieved of the
need to make the 'other' into one.  The way to undo projections, is to
own them.  Compassion for self is critical here and, in my experience,
once this is achieved I am motivated not to repeat the pattern but to
transcend it.

Kenoli wrote>
If we have to keep playing the game that we are better than everyone
else how will we ever become the country we truly want to be?  It is not
in anyones best interests
to "need" to see ourselves as "right".  What is all this disgusting talk
of "good" and "evil"?  We need to remove this vocabulary from our
language.  It is not a matter of good and evil.  It is a matter of
looking at what is happening and making conscious and
participatory (remember open space) choices carefully chosen to create
the kind of world we want to live in.<

Kenoli - I agree wholeheartedly.  I am including a passage from
Arundhati Roy's recent article (The Guardian - Oct. 23/01) that I think
is most apropos.  I would be happy to forward it, in its entirety, to
anyone who requests it.

"Unknowingly, ordinary people in both countries share a common bond -
they have to live with the phenomenon of blind, unpredictable terror.
Each batch of bombs that is dropped on Afghanistan is matched by a
corresponding escalation of mass hysteria in America about anthrax, more
hijackings and other terrorist acts....
There is no easy way out of the spiralling morass of terror and
brutality that confronts the world today. It is time now for the human
race to hold still, to delve into its wells of collective wisdom, both
ancient and modern. What happened on September 11 changed the world
forever.
With all due respect to President Bush, the people of the world do not
have to choose between the Taliban and the US government. All the beauty
of human civilisation - our art, our music, our literature - lies beyond
these two fundamentalist, ideological poles. There is as little chance
that the people of the world can all become middle- class consumers as
there is that they will all embrace any one particular religion. The
issue is not about good v evil or Islam v Christianity as much as it is
about space. (emphasis mine)   About how to accommodate diversity, how
to contain the impulse towards hegemony - every kind of hegemony,
economic, military, linguistic, religious and cultural."

peace, love and best wishes to all,
glory