A Transformative Moment... Now. (long)

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 16 09:49:33 PDT 2001

I have spent my professional lifetime watching, thinking and writing about
the transformation of human consciousness. I am not at all sure that I have
made any original contributions, and for sure there exists an abundance of
heavy thinkers in the area who have added greatly to whatever it is that I
think I know. Be all that as it may, beginning in the early 80's I, and a
small group of friends, enunciated the notion of Organization
Transformation, in which we attempted to apply the insights of individual
transformation to our collective manifestations in groups -- organizations.
The full story is a long one, and certainly too long for a LIST entry --
but certain observations have taken shape in my mind and informed my
practice. I share them, not because I think they are right, but in the hope
that collectively we may take the conversation deeper.

First: Transformation is not something we do to ourselves or others -- as
in I am going to transform that organization. Rather transformation is
something initiated at a point in time when changed environmental
circumstances render our old way of being non-operative, and simultaneously
opens the door way to a new way of being (consciousness). And environment,
for human beings, comes in a number of packages in addition to the
physical, such electronic, print, business, community etc.

Secondly: Transformation (individually and collectively) is no walk in the
park. The open door  ushers in chaotically terrible winds of discontinuity
and change, feelings of loss, loneliness, nostalgia, and ultimately
despair. Fortunately, we as a species seemingly have "hardwired" into our
constitution an effective process for dealing with all this called
Griefwork -- which does work, but not by eliminating all the pain and
anxiety. Transformation under anesthesia is not a possibility. We have to
go through the pain -- not around it.

Thirdly: Transformation is something best done together even though we all
have to take the trip alone. Something like holding hands when we cross the
street. This is more than whistling as we pass by the cemetery. We have the
opportunity, and I think obligation to be with our fellows. "Being with" is
not to be confused with creating new programs, espousing new fixes --
Although God knows some new programs and fixes could be helpful. Rather, I
think it is about standing in the center of the circling storm, totally
present and absolutely invisible -- creating and holding the space/time in
which grief can be worked, life renewed, and consciousness changed. I
believe we know something about all of that.

Fourth: There are no guarantees, and certainly no guarantee that the
outcome will be as we might have hoped. Evolution sometimes proceeds by
devolution. Occasionally we have to take several steps backwards in order
to achieve a leap forward. And even if the movement is forward, the outcome
is totally un-predictable. Be prepared to be surprised. This present moment
could be the end of the ride, and doubtless a number of folks will choose
to get off the bus. But if our history to date is any indicator, what lies
ahead of us will simply boggle our minds with possibilities. Good ones,
albeit with a shadow side.

So now What?

As the bombs fall in Afghanistan, packets of Anthrax wander America, and
major portions of the Islamic world are inflamed by the passion of Jihad --
now what? For me, the first part of an answer comes with a recognition:
It's over. Not everything, of course -- but the dream like reality we have
lived in the charmed land of America is over. As an American citizen I am
proud of the many good things we have done and been -- the products we
created, the technologies we invented, the degree of freedom and openness
we have created for ourselves, and our willingness to share all that with
the world. But as a global citizen I am also profoundly aware of the abject
poverty and hopelessness which afflicts the vast majority of people on this
planet. I am painfully aware of the massive (physical) environmental
pollution to which we have been a major contributor. Obviously, we as a
people did not create all the ills of the planet, but I think it fair to
state that we have not exercised sufficient effort towards their
resolution. To whom much has been given, much shall be expected. We have
been truly blessed -- it is now time that we fully share our blessings. For
those who see the present moment in terms of preserving The American Way of
Life and Getting Back to Normal -- and I know I have such feelings -- the
word is pretty clear. Forget it. Should we succeed in the short term -- the
next time the tectonic plates of our global consciousness shift -- it will
be a biggie. It's Over.

And Then?

Any person or group who think they have The Plan for Resolution of
Planetary Ills are clearly deluded and possibly mad. The events and
passions that swirl about us are simply too complex, inter-related, and
chaotic for comprehension, let alone rational planning, though Lord knows
many will try. The effort itself is probably worth while, but for reasons
rather different than the "planners" might have intended. At best these
"planners and plans" form critical parts of the emerging global
conversation out of which a new consciousness of what it means to be human
may emerge. The paramount danger of the moment is not the renewal of
terrorist attacks and bloody responses, it is rather that the space for
global conversation will close. Some may feel that there is also a danger
that we may talk it to death, but I think this is one time where there
simply cannot be too much talk.
         A series of stories appearing in The Washington Post make the
point, I think. On Sunday (10/15/01) we had a story about the marvelous
electronic miracle of the Command and Control Center at the FBI, all the
effect that our efforts must be "controlled from Washington." Good luck
Charlie. Then this morning we had three headlines on the Front Page.
"Anti-US Sentiment Spreading In Pakistan," "US Message Lost Overseas." and
finally "Bush Rejects Taliban Offer on Bin Laden." Except for the fact that
I am a citizen of the US and a resident of Planet Earth, I felt a semblance
of a chuckle coming from some strange place in me. I guess if you totally
lose your sense of humor, the alternative might be madness.

So What  to do?

I don't know what you should do in specifics -- except to keep the space
open, in whatever way that is humanly possible to do. For myself, there are
a few specifics. For example:

Keep the electronic space open. I have an electronic colleague in India.
His name is Mirza Yawar Baig <leadtrain at hotmail.com>. He is Muslim and has
taken it upon himself to share thoughts that appear in the world press with
his western colleagues. Not all of it is pleasant reading, but he opens a
window on a world than many of us never see. Best of all he will answer if
you email him. Or at least he "talks" to me.

Help others to Open Space -- In January, God willing and the creeks don't
rise -- I am going to Israel to do a training program with Tova Averbuch.
Outside of a certain hesitation I feel (surprise) about jumping on an
international flight at the present, I confess to other, deeper
hesitations, primary of which is a genuine dis-ease with current Israeli
policy towards the Palestinians. Tova and I have talked about this and she
still wants me to come, and I want to go. And she has promised to make best
effort to insure that our participants are not just Israeli. Given the
present circumstances, I am not sure how successful she will be, but that
is the intention.

Seize the moment and Invite a new consciousness to show up This sounds
pretty grandiose, and I guess it is. I also think it is possible. Of course
it presumes that we might actually recognize this New Consciousness if we
ran into it -- but I think we have some definite clues. Characteristics
include: High Learning, High Play, Appropriate Structures and controls and
Genuine Community, all of which, of course, put in regular appearances in
Open Space. It is critical to remember, however, that this is not a matter
of the magic of Open Space, but rather the pre-existing reality of any well
functioning self-organizing system. In Open Space we simply come face to
face with what we already are. What makes all this different (or at least
can make this different) is the conscious awareness and acceptance of our
own reality as a self-organizing system. The consequences of this
awareness/acceptance include an understanding that we are not in charge of
the universe. Further, that our continued existence (in all senses of that
word) depend upon a positive, effective, open, and symbiotic relationship
with our environment at all levels. Should we choose differently as in
closure, control, disrespect, we will cease (loose, fail, go kaput) because
the open, living, self-organization which we are will stop. So what can we
do? Simple. Open some Space and invite people to be fully what they are --
with respect.

Should we then think that self-organization is but some other words for
Nirvana and the Kingdom of God? Definitely not, as I think we are painfully
discovering with al-Qaeda. It has been pointed out that al-Qaeda is, in
many regards, the perfect example of a well functioning self-organizing
system -- The New Paradigm Organization. Flat, decentralized, value driven,
agile to a fault -- and very effective. To what extent bin Laden and
company are conscious of this, I haven't a clue, but that they are
currently manifesting all the "Right Stuff" is pretty much beyond dispute,
I think. Which makes the point that the power of self-organization, like
all natural powers, are essential value neutral. The power or force of
gravity keeps us from floating off into space. That same power also allows
bombs to fall.

I think we know some other things about self-organizing systems which may
tell us a lot about the adequacy of current US policy and response.
Self-organizing systems under attack actually increase their effectiveness
so long as they are basically in harmony with their environment -- and can
continue to draw support and nutrient.   At the moment al-Qaeda is like a
fish in its own sea -- a sea of the dispossessed who happen to be Islamic.
It is theoretically possible to surgically remove the offending organism --
but highly unlikely. And even if successful in this particular instance, it
is predictable that the same environmental conditions, which gave rise to
the organism al-Qaeda, will do so again. Only next time the life form will
be more effective, efficient, and virulent. Ultimately, the only effective
strategy is to change the environment in more positive and healthy
directions. I might also point out that  the net effect of the current
US/Western efforts, which isolate that environment, is to protect it from
change. I shudder at the prospects of the long term implications what is
now being called The Bush Doctrine (Washington Post 10/16/01) -- "If you
aren't with us, you are against us."

The alternatives? Open the space -- and keep opening the space -- wherever
and however that can be done. We have learned, I think ,that conflict, in
and of itself is not bad. Indeed conflict has positive attributes -- it
shows that people care, they have passion. However, when the space is
constricted, passions conflict. All attempts to dampen the passion, or
force it into preconceived structures which are socially acceptable to one
group according to their agenda eventually fail, or at best are
counter-productive. Fifteen years in Open Space has taught us this -- if
nothing else. It would be wonderful, of course, if some wise great soul
could effectively design The New World Order and all 6 billion of us could
fit in comfortably. Lots of luck, Charlie. Now, if ever, we are forced back
on the deep wisdom of the people -- all the people -- in the faith that the
species, like all species will seek to optimize itself -- otherwise known
as creating a better life. Perhaps there were times when one group could
decimate all others, and thereby create its own environment. Those times
are gone, if they ever existed. We are all in this together. We will get
through it together or not at all. For sure it will be quite ride. And as
we ride, it may be well to remember --

Whoever comes are the right people -- and that has to be all of us
Whatever happens is the only thing that could have -- even (or especially)
if it doesn't turn out to meet our specifications.
Whenever it starts is the right time -- and now seems to be the time.
When it's over, it's over. One way or another.

And so I am talking to Mirza, Going to Israel, and opening space wherever,
and however I can.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive