Reposting: Update on how things are going with Laurel Doersam

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 15 12:12:35 PDT 2001

[L.V. (Lovely and Vivacious) Chris Corrigan has just informed me that I
may be posting things wrong to the list - I lazily reply to any message
that says OSLIST and rename it for my new messages.  Turns out that this
throws my messages, like the latest one about the Catholic Diocese, into
your other threads and they don't pop up as new threads.  My apologies
-- who knew? Apparently, all of you...  Anyway, thanks for your patience
and I'll send them fresh from now on.  Thanks, LVChris,  Lisa
PS: for those of you who did not see the Catholic Diocese message pop up
on its own, apparently it is hidden in your thread for Carlos
Casteneda's Warrior...oops...]

- - -

Hello, all --

For those of you who have not been following this thread, Laurel
co-hosted our last Open Space on Open Space in August in Vancouver with
the lovely and vivacious Chris Corrigan.  Just recently Laurel's life
was thrown into chaos and letting go into the unknown when an ovarian
tumor was found in her little, feisty, loving body.  Many of you have
been sending-faxing-emailing-calling in your prayers and support to her,

which really means a lot to her: it's fierce medicine.  My many thanks
to those of you who have checked in with me and my apologies for not
getting back to each of you directly -- but please do know that I
appreciate your kind thoughts have been passing on your every word to
her.

I had not been able to talk to her for several weeks now, as her
telephone line is constantly busy and full of love and support,
surrounded as she is by people (including you) who reflect her kindness
and her passion. Selfishly, I have been waiting to speak to her myself.
But this weekend she left me a telephone message, and I'd like to share
it with you:

"I just had my chemo treatment today.  Rick did the most wonderful
visualization with me while the chemo was being infused.  We were there
for six hours -- they're giving me the big, big guns, and later chemo
treatments will probably be more like four hours.  It's really powerful
stuff, but  I feel great -- man, I feel amazing! I can't believe how
good I feel!  And I feel like, okay, I'm in training now.  I'm going to
start training just like I did for the marathon [Laurel ran her very
first marathon last year].  I'm going to be meditating 1/2 hour each
day, which I've been really neglecting lately.  I'm going to be dancing
every day because people who dance every day get better.  And I'm going
to walk, and I'm going to rest, and I'm going to write, and all those
things, and I'm ready, man -- I'm ready to get better!"

She is fighter, mother, dancer, lover, believer, guide, gardener,
trickster and shining star.  She is an example of how to embrace even
cancer with the principles of Open Space Technology.

You can fax her in care of her friends Janet and Rick at (+01) 250
744-1697, or you can send me email messages which I will fax to her, or
you can mail her at
Laurel Doersam (and Rick her husband, and kids Breanna-10, Brett-14,
Jessica-16 and Chelsea-20)
P.O. Box 5233
Victoria, British Columbia
V8R 6N4