Action planning design

Thomas Herrmann thomas.herrmann at telia.com
Tue Oct 2 07:36:33 PDT 2001

Hi, everybody.
I would appreciate your thoughts on this issue. Recently I opened space for
130 municipal leaders from one municipality. The conference lasted for two
days and due to different reasons we did not come around to actionplanning.
30 reports were produced, priority-voting and related issues were grouped
together. Before leaving everybody received the book of proceedings.

In short the energy ran out in the end of the 2 days and the closing was
very weak. The participants did expect to do an actionplan but this did not
happen. The main reason was that I had a sponsor who suddenly didn't want
the actionplan to get done. On top of that I was not present enough due to
having taken too much responsability for the computorstation. On top of that
I did a little miscalculation of the time...

Anyway here I am. I/we screwed up, although many of the participants thought
the 2 days were very interesting and stimulating (day one was great). I have
met with the sponsors and I am happy we agreed to get on with the
actionplanning and including the decisionmakers in the work. We will focus
on the 6 top-priority issues. Keeping employees, good leadership, two
versions of issues related to workingconditions, how get a feeling of "being
one", how to get time to work with improving quality. Most of them are huge
enough to make an open space about.

I see three alternatives right now but would surely appreciate your thoughts
on this!
1. Invite the ones who brought up the top issues to a facilitated process
together with the decisionmakers, around how to go on with these issues. (e
g Harissons three levels do/talk/OST)
2. Invite to an afternoon of actionplanning - all in one group that will
split up into the different issues ending with a short report out and a
little time for discussions.
3. 6 separate meetings processfacilitated to reach an actionplan on each of
them.

I will have to come with my propositions by tomorrow night so if you have
the possibility to share, I would appreciate that so much.
Warm greetings from a getting-cold Sweden
Thomas Herrmann