Artur

J. Paul Everett JPESeeker at aol.com
Mon Oct 1 17:50:04 PDT 2001

In a message dated 9/30/01 6:23:13 AM, artsilva at mail.eunet.pt writes:

<<
We have been talking for a while that we live in a "global world", but we did
very little to understand it globally. I think it is time to try to understand
it globally -- to try to understand positions that come from cultures VERY
different from our owns... And even occidental cultures are different from
each other...

Everything we though that we knew about inter-cultural studies and contacts
will probably have to be reviewed, from now on... We have to learn to keep the
space open in a much more profoundly way than we did before, I think.

Best regards

Artur >>

Artur,

Couldn't agree more with the above sentiments.  One way, and only one way,
there are probably more, would be for nations to finance every 18-year-old
going somewhere else in the world for a minimum of three months.  That
somewhere else would need to be radically different than where they are now.
The poor visit the rich, the rich visit the truly poor.  There are other
opposites that need exploring, religious, cultural, space/no space,
agriculture/city, etc.  And, they ALL must return home.  Anyway, that might
do a lot for adjusting our view of the world.

Regards,

Paul