OSLIST Digest - 28 Sep 2001 to 29 Sep 2001 (#2001-239)

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Mon Oct 1 10:58:18 PDT 2001

I think we will continue to converse about world issues here on the list.

We are humans and OST practitioners, as Michael Dobbie says, and I would
add that we each have culture and gender and class and other contexts which
influence us. I think it's valuable to notice all these things as we go
thru life, or post to the list.

Here is the question on the FAQ regarding etiquette. I think it's the
closest thing to ground rules that we have established. I think it's the
latest version 1.3 (Chris?)

blessings,
Jeff

4. What is the etiquette for posting to OSLIST?

There are no hard and fast rules about what to post to OSLIST, but in
general people appreciate the following:
 *  Questions about working with Open Space Technology* *  Answers to
relevant questions* *  Stories about Open Space Technology meetings* *
Poems (there is a regular poetry contest that happens every six months or
so)* *  Notices of upcoming Open Space Technology training or conferences*
*  Resource material that may be of interest to Open Space Technology
facilitators* *  Opportunities and calls for OST facilitators.* *
Introductions from new subscribers

*  Discussion about theories and ideas that can help to improve the
understanding and practice of Open Space Technology

*  Experiences working with Open Space Organizations
*  Accounts of other ways of "opening space."

*  Posts in languages other than English are acceptable.  OSLIST has
readers who speak German, Swedish, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish and French
among others and items have been posted in all of these languages in the
past.

 In general, OSLIST users seem to prefer that people avoid the following:
 *  Attachments.  Please either post these to a website and provide the
link to the list, or ask people to indicate if they wish to receive them
off list.
*  Flaming.  We are a pretty congenial group, and flaming is relatively
unknown amongst us.  It would be nice to keep it that way.  If you have
negative things to say about individuals it would be appreciated if you
could keep them off list.
*  It must also be said that the jury is still out on small personal notes
of appreciation or support to individuals.  Some feel that these are a
waste of bandwidth and add to an increasingly heavy personal email load.
Others feel that personal messages of support sent to the list provide
valuable affirmation to individuals by recognizing them within the
worldwide community of Open Space Technology practitioners.  It’s best to
use your own judgement on this.  If you do post notes like this to the
list, be aware that the reception of others may be mixed.

-
Jeff Aitken
Berkeley CA USA: (01) 510.540.6576
JA at svn.net

And now, for something COMPLETELY different... -- Cleese et al