Staying in the Room

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 29 12:50:46 PST 2001

At 08:50 AM 11/29/2001 -0800, Don wrote:
>Once a long time ago when the Market Place was opened for a small group of
>about 15, I left the room. Oh it worked out. Everyone knows it works every
>time. But, I had a nagging feeling that maybe the space was not fully
>opened, and I heard later that one person was very dominant at the
>beginning and then that faded and the group did what it needed to do. I
>will never leave the room like that again because as has been said, just
>the presence of the Facilitator helps to keep the space open.

I can certainly understand the feelings about "not leaving the room," but
it does sort of play havoc with Nap Time. However, as you pointed out
"...the group did what it needed to do." And I would guess, they did it in
your absence. All of which suggests to me that "Space Holding" is not so
much about physical proximity as focus and presence -- albeit your body was
not in evidence. Wonderful! And I think you knew that ... as you said, "I
had a nagging feeling that maybe the space was not fully opened." It
wasn't, but it got open, and you were "there" to help. But the best part is
that The Folks felt like they did it all by themselves. Seems to me it
worked perfectly. As usual.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive