2002, not 2001!

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 27 07:28:28 PST 2001

At 09:14 AM 11/26/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Harrison wrote:
>two OSONOS's in a single year may be too much of a good thing???
>
>I wonder.  Seems to me that an OSonOS theme could be locally/regionally
>and internationally relevant at the same time, and that whoever comes
>would be the right people.  Harrison, will you say a little more about
>"too much of a good thing?"
>
>Chris Weaver

There have always been regional (national) OSONOS's. To my knowledge, they
have happened in Canada, Australia, and I am sure some other places. I
think that is great, and certainly to be continued. On the other hand, we
have seemingly gotten into a tradition of having one "worldwide" OSONOS
each year. And as you and Laura know very well, putting on such a thing is
no small amount of effort. The value of a "single" gathering comes clear in
the diverse richness of participants, and if the crowd is split between
multiple OSONOS, it is of course possible that everybody will go to every
one -- but at the end of the day there is only so much money in the old
travel budget. So my thought would be to continue the tradition of having
one OSONOS Worldwide each year with as many "locals" as anybody cares to
put together. There seemed to be general agreement that next year (2002)
OSONOS 10 (is that the right number?) was headed for OZ. I know Brian and
Company have already exerted some major effort in preparing for our
arrival, and it would be too bad for all that to be wasted. I also agree
with the thought that OSONOS 11 might well take place in a non-First World
environment. Having spent some considerable time in so called "Third World"
places, I know that the potential for learning on all our parts would be
extreme. I also know that the logistical, and unfortunately today, security
issues could be considerable.

ho
>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive