Very small OS

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Mon Nov 26 11:14:49 PST 2001

I have led many small OS events with groups ranging from 7 to 15.  They
have often been with staff teams or boards of organizations, once with a
small unit at a hospital and another with a 7 person senior management
team.

I have had some groups choose to spend much of the time together,
following the sequential shifting of leadership Meg suggests.

However, I have had groups not do that, even in 4 hour OS's.  A group of
15 physicians broke in to 5 small groups immediately and then concluded
with two.  One board started by combining topics to meet in the whole
group to deal with some common board issues and then broke in small
groups of 2's and 3's for the rest of the day.  The senior management
team stayed in small groups the whole time but the space was opened
within a larger planning process so that they had already spent time
together and knew they would again.

It is amazing how even with small groups, people do what they need to do
at the current state of their group -- all together or with the freedom
to take individual or small group initiative.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
Toronto, ON, Canada