Meditation and Open Space

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun Nov 25 17:05:49 PST 2001

Thanks to all for the good thoughts about OS facilitation, mediation and
meditation.  I am not a trained mediator, but have sometimes come into
situations which could have used mediation with either facilitated problem
solving, where the clients define the problem or the desired goal and find
ways to resolve their conflicts, or by opening space to deal with the issues.

I bring a slightly different technology when we work with a problem-solving
process, but my most important role in either case is holding space, creating
an environment where conflicting ideas can be safely spoken and real feelings
are allowed to be heard.  I was delighted when Harrison gave me a name for
what I was doing when I was (visibly) doing nothing.

I do believe that meditation or some other ongoing spiritual practice helps
me to stay centered in a conflicted situation.  My personal favorite
practices when preparing for Open Space are mindful walking and making
posters.

Joelle