good idea or bad idea?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 18 07:11:31 PST 2001

At 12:06 AM 11/18/01 -0700, chris Weaver wrote:

>So next September, everyone's in the circle, but everyone is perhaps not
>"equal" - while most have paid to come, some are being paid to be there.
>While some contemplate the chaos of the circle and consider whether to
>convene, others will be well-prepared, expecting and expected to convene.
>
>Good idea or bad idea?

I have done something like this on several occasions, and with mixed
results. In one case, everything worked perfectly and the presence of the
paid heavies detracted from nothing. In another case we ended up with two
conferences, one  "pre-planned" and the other emergent. I guess it all
worked, but I felt rather schizophrenic. Maybe it was just me. When I try
to isolate the differences the most obvious was that the first conference
was smallish (125) and the second large (950). So you would expect some
difference in "feel." Another difference was that the first conference was
a highly conflicted group assembled to solve a real problem -- their
survival.  The second was "just" the annual meeting.

At the end of the day, I think I would suggest having the talking heads do
their workshops on the first day -- and follow on succeeding days all in
Open Space. I know that works, and it seems to better honor the integrity
of the space.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive