OPEN SPACE on OPEN SPACE in OZ

Fr Brian S Bainbridge briansb at mira.net
Sun Nov 18 20:44:46 PST 2001

Dear All
To make sure you know - and, hopefully, are planning to be at - the
Tenth International OPEN SPACE on OPEN SPACE in OZ at Marysville - about
100 minutes drive into the mountains from Melbourne Airport, Victoria,
Australia - November 9 (commence with evening BBQ)-10-11-12 (finish with
lunch), 2002.
It's just one year away from now - minus one week.
It will be Spring here, with temperatures anywhere between 10°C and
25°C, maybe bright sunlight, maybe some rain - Melbourne (in Spring
especially) has a reputation of being able to
have four seasons in the same day.  Wonderful!  We'll make suggestions
about clothing to bring by about May, 2002.
You already have some ideas about airline costs in getting here from
Lisa Heft who is helping with finance arrangements.
 Suggestion:  get your own travel agent to give you a price on what you
want to do and where you want to go;
and then send that data to our travel lady here, Joy Doylend
<joy at jstravel.com.au> to see if we can better the price for you by
arranging things from this end.
Harrison Owen's trip to Australia this year came out at nearly half what
he had been quoted from his US agency!!!
And remember that our Australian currency is sitting at about half the
US$ right now, and seems
unlikely to move very far beyond that in the coming months.  It makes
travel from North
America and parts of Europe very much less expensive than the numbers
seem.
And on-the-ground costs are far less than in other countries, though
perhaps not as inexpensive as
some parts of Asia.  The current cost of a McDonalds Big Mac Hamburger,
for the record, is
AU$3.00 - that is about US$1.56.
We will have accurate fees for OSonOSinOZ for you by early March, with
early-bird registrations and accommodation arrangements in place at that
time.  Registration and accommodation forms will be available on the
LIST and WEB. The fee we are arranging will be all-inclusive - no extra
charges unless you go to the Old-Fashioned Lolly Shop in Marysville or
the Art Shop or.....
If you'd like to know about other travel options in Australia while you
are here, the following might give you some idea of what is worth
considering.  You'll need to get an atlas or access the Internet to make
sure you know the distances involved.  <Lonely Planet - Australia Map>
will be helpful, and lots of other data is available at
<Australia-Virtual Tourist.com>
Options :
Tasmania: 7 days/6 nights [before or after the Conference]
Air Melbourne/Launceston (overnight) Freycinet (2 nights) Port Arthur
(overnight) Hobart (2 nights) Melbourne.
Melbourne to Sydney (or Sydney to Melbourne): 5 days/4 nights [On the
way to or from Melbourne]
Melbourne/Beechworth (overnight) Canberra (3 nights) Sydney.
Cairns/Port Douglas : 6 days/5 nights [before or after the conference]
Air Melbourne/Cairns (5 nights)/Sydney then ex Sydney
Sydney : 6 days/5 nights [before or after the conference]
Air Melbourne/Sydney (5 nights) then ex Sydney.
Norfolk Island : 6 days/5 nights [before or after the conference]
Air Sydney/Norfolk Island (5 nights)/Sydney then ex Sydney.
Great Ocean Road, Victoria : 4 days/3 nights [before or after the
conference]
Melbourne/Geelong/Apollo Bay (overnight) Halls Gap/Ballarat (overnight)
Melbourne.
And there are other options in New Zealand, too, on the way to or from
Australia.
For further details and pricing, get back to Joy Doylend at
<joy at jstravel.com.au>
Joy can also arrange visas when ticketing is set up from this end.
More to come about OSonOSinOZ in a little while.
But make sure you have the dates in your diary.
Cheers and blessings
Fr BRIAN S. BAINBRIDGE
for OPEN SPACE INSTITUTE of AUSTRALIA