Ideas for closing activity?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 1 14:31:28 PST 2001

Dear colleagues --

I'm in-between Weekend #1 and Weekend #2 of the local Catholic Diocese's
Critical Issues strategic planning workshop in Open Space.  Well,
actually, Weekend #2 is not really Open Space, as we need to combine
convergence with some information exchange.

Next week we will continue where we left off, which means we'll be
reforming the circle, then doing convergence on their various
recommendations.  There are no action groups after convergence, because
this is an advisory group (not the implementers) and the recommendations
*are* sort of action items.

So after we vote and celebrate that, we also want to ask the group what
their thoughts are on things the Bishop might need to know regarding how
to ensure the success of the action items that come out of this
strategic plan.  Maybe an hour in facilitated discussion to gather all
those thoughts.

Or a very short Open Space or other creative way to do that, if you have
some ideas for that.

Plus we want closure.

We'll be offering Mass after the workshop, for those who wish to
attend.  But we need a wonderful, nutritious, celebratory closure
directly following the work they've done together.  (yes, Mass is
wonderful, nutritious and celebratory for many people, but that is
separate from our workshop and not all people will be attending that).

Yes, there is the kind of closure that involves coming to the center to
pick up an item and speak about / reflecting upon one's experiences.
But in a room covered with words and talking all day long and some
people going on and on about the same things (trying to make a point)
and lots of printed material they've used for reference and more words
and words, I'd like to close in a distinctly different manner.  And I'd
like to capture some of their feelings in a less cognitive, more
intuitive sort of way.

There are about 120 people.

The first weekend closed with everyone writing one word on a piece of
paper that summed up their experience, and then placing those colored
bits on a wall to create a mosaic of where we'd been / where we were
going.

One stray thought involves giving each participant something to take
away with them as well (a packet of wildflower seeds? a candle? a card
with a poem or reading on it?).

I welcome all your creative thoughts.

Lisa

--