Self-Organization

Jim Metcalf stjohnlu at altelco.net
Sat Nov 17 16:27:32 PST 2001

Dear Open Space Comrades!

The discussion on self-organization has been most interesting. You have
stimulated my thinking, and I would like to share it with you in the hope
that you will criticize and improve my thoughts.

All organizations are necessarily self-organizing, even those that are
tyrannically organized by a single person exercising control over others.
This is because any organizer becomes part of the organization by the act of
organizing. It appears that "self-organization" as we use the term in our
Open Space discussions, refers to democratically self-organized systems that
do not have a layer of tyrannical organization imposed along side of the
democratic self-organization. On the other end of the continuum from
democratically self-organized systems are tyrannically organized systems. In
these, one, or a few, individuals create and maintain the organization for
their own ends. (I do not imply that this is morally evil, though it may
be.) The problem for tyrannically organized systems (or the saving grace for
them, depending on your point of view) is that their people tend towards
democratically self-organized systems, and away from the tyrannical system.

Example 1: The army supply sergeant who swaps parts outside of official
requisition channels because that is the most efficient way to provide for
his company of soldiers. Example 2: Those of us who take orders or advice,
and then solve the problem our own way anyhow. Example 3: The mid-level
employee in a large government bureaucracy who happily works outside of
channels to do great good deeds, knowing that he may be protected by the
sheer size of the organization, and his own audacious success.

So, I'm proposing that we have a continuum. On one end is the nearly pure
democratically self-organized system.
On the other end of the continuum is the tyrannically organized system,
which must always contend with the natural inclination of people to
self-organize in order to meet their own needs.

One thing that seems to make Open Space work is that it goes with the flow.
It takes advantage of people's natural inclination to self-organize, to have
input into their own destiny, to be free.

I believe the other thing that makes Open Space work is its reliance on
"Word" to create the self-organizing system. The words that are shared in
Open Space create order out of the initial chaos. The words that are shared
in Open Space also prevent the continuing chaos of people acting
individually without words, without communication, without coordination,
without care for another's ideas.

Thinking is a social process. There are many ways to think (theologically as
a Hindu, a Christian, a Muslim, for example), or statistically, or
economically, or . Even though this is so, there is a common process
underlying all of these modes that makes communication and cooperation
possible. Although our words may not perfectly communicate, they do well
enough for us to touch each other's souls. This is the power of Open Space.

Jim Metcalf