social evaluation for phisical planning: OS invitatins dilemas

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Sun May 6 14:43:58 PDT 2001

Tova--

If possible, I would look first for a meeting place.  Is it possible that
there are a few places, of different sizes?  Could you change from a
medium-sized room to a larger room if there were a large number of responses?

In any case, you will have either a size limit, the number the room will
hold, or a time deadline, after which no more may make a reservation.

I would choose carefully the list of whom to invite, making sure that all the
key organizations or interest groups were on the list.  Then I would accept
reservations on a first-come, first-served basis.  That seems to me more fair
and objective than trying to choose among applicants on the basis of
diversity.  And, I suspect that those with the most passion will reply first,
so you will have a group which is ready to accept responsibility.

This is where we are tested in our belief that whoever comes are the right
people.  After 25 years of watching groups come together, I know that the
right people seem to find each other regardless of how I arrange things--I
just admit that there is a mystery here I don't totally understand.

Good luck on an OS that seems to have the potential to be extremely
interesting and valuable!

Joelle Everett