poet laureate

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.net
Sun May 6 03:11:16 PDT 2001

My thanks to Jeff for holding the space for a wonderful contest.

I have a little story to share about Florian Fischer.

Back in September I was working on the poetry chapbook to send to OSonOS in
Berlin.  Florian and I had been adjusting the translation of the poem "Wey"
over email.  One evening, as I was cooking in the kitchen here in North
Carolina, Florian called me from Andalusia.

Due to the flowery name, and even moreso the lovely intuitive angle of email
postings, I had never considered that Florian might not be a woman.  When
his rich baritone voice said, "Chris?  This is Florian!" on the phone, I was
so utterly disoriented that I nearly dropped a frying pan full of potatoes.

When I recovered, we laughed about it at length.

Florian, I am deeply honored to have you as my poet laureate.  Perhaps in
Vancouver we will convene a multi-lingual poetic adventure and my picture
will be complete.

With Love,
Chris