Warm Up and other pre-stuff

Martin Leith martinleith at theinnovationagency.com
Thu May 3 07:54:32 PDT 2001

I think we need to make a distinction between warm up activities (a.k.a.
icebreakers) and other stuff that may precede the Open Space Forum (as we
now call it over here in Brighton, UK) proper.

Facilitators do warm-ups because they think that people are cold. I’ve found
that when I assume that people are already warm, then people are prepared
(note the ambiguity) to go straight into the work.

Although we don’t do warm-ups, we do sometimes have people do some work
before the OS Forum. The umbrella term for this might be ‘context setting’
or ‘subject soak’. One of the things we sometimes have people work in small
groups (like Real Time Strategic Change or Future Search) and use Post-its
to get all the issues and opportunities out, then use sticky hearts to
indicate where their energy is. Then, when it comes to offering sessions,
people have a broader sense of the subject matter.

We have also embedded an Open Space Forum into a Future Search conference,
using Open Space to go deeper into some of the issues on the mind map of
issues and trends going on in the present.

We are currently collaborating with Mike Bell of The Wisdom Meme
 www.thewisdommeme.com <http://www.thewisdommeme.com/> ) to create a hybrid
of the Wisdom Council and Open Space. Mike trained with the Ehama Institute
( www.ehama.org <http://www.ehama.org/> ) in California and is now back in
the UK. So the Wisdom Council work is yet another process that can be used
as groundwork for Open Space.

Mike has worked with OST and suggests that the opening circle begins by
‘stringing the beads’, which means that everyone says their name. I haven’t
tried this but will do so when a suitable opportunity shows up. I’m not sure
how this would be done with a large number of participants though. Does
anyone have any thoughts on this?

Having said all that, there are many occasions when nothing is needed before
the opening circle – just get on with it.

I’d like to thank everyone who has contributed to this discussion.

Martin

www.theinnovationagency.com/openspace
<http://www.theinnovationagency.com/openspace>
www.martinleith.com <http://www.martinleith.com/>