OS for 1,000

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 22:10:32 PST 2001

Elena--

For the Open Space on Open Space Conference in Berlin, we used handwritten
reports on a prepared form like Christine mentions.  And it worked very well;
we had the reports in hand to look over for choosing priorities.

I have not been in an Open Space as large as 1000, but I was at an OS event
which Harrison facilitated for 600 or 700 people at an ODN conference in
Baltimore.  What I learned is that you need a lot of space for displaying the
sessions.  At that meeting, the hotel would only allow us to tape things to
one wall, as the woodwork on the other main wall was freshly refinished, and
they feared the tape would damage the new finish.  The result was that the
one wall was very crowded with session notices and it was difficult for
participants to get close enough to the wall to read the notices.  However, I
remember that the OS went on anyway, people choosing a session without trying
to read them all.

Maybe tables would work.  Maybe some sort of temporary wall could be built,
just strong enough to hold pieces of paper, maybe the stadium has a wall with
scoreboard which could be used.  It's hard for me to visualize without seeing
the stadium, but I'm positive you can find a way to make it work.

Good luck--this is a very exciting idea!

Joelle Everett