Open Space in smaller packages

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 10 05:51:25 PST 2001

At 03:01 PM 3/8/01 -0800, you wrote:

>The two different offices and staff groups do not get along,
>do not work well with each other and are spending a lot of
>time and energy (and resources) complaining about each other
>rather than solving the problems.

>Just in case I do not get the flexibility of holding a two
>or 2.5 day event, what would you recommend for the design of
>shorter events?  One day, half day...I also know there are
>some of you who do what I would call very short Open Space,
>of only two or three hours.

Given the fact that these folks don't like each other and have never
experienced Open Space -- doing a "shortie", I think, would be
counter-productive, indeed it could well put them further away from
resolution. The basic issue is time, and the fact that there will
inevitably be the need to, (and probably the reality of) really venting. In
a short time frame either the venting won't happen (deep issues get deeper)
or it does happen, but that's all that happens. I would suggest an absolute
minimum of a day and a half -- and try very hard for the whole enchillada.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA