Open Space in smaller packages

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 8 15:01:38 PST 2001

Hello, colleagues --

I am meeting with someone soon to discuss holding space with
staff from two different regional offices of a company.

The two different offices and staff groups do not get along,
do not work well with each other and are spending a lot of
time and energy (and resources) complaining about each other
rather than solving the problems.

After a bit more discussion with this potential client we
may find that Open Space is just the thing to get them
working together and enjoying it before they even know it
(!).

This would be the first use of OS in this organization.

Just in case I do not get the flexibility of holding a two
or 2.5 day event, what would you recommend for the design of
shorter events?  One day, half day...I also know there are
some of you who do what I would call very short Open Space,
of only two or three hours.

What do you find are the adjustments -- logistically or
otherwise -- one might make for the various shorter events
you may recommend to me?

And we had an earlier discussion on OSLIST about the number
of consulting/facilitation days one tells the client s/he
will be paying for.  Do any of you adjust any of this when
discussing a shorter OS, and if so, how?

I appreciate your thoughts on this,

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Berkeley, California, USA