Open Space - Green Building in Ithaca, New York

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Wed Mar 7 09:20:05 PST 2001

Dear Todd, some more thoughts on timing and on follow-up. I offer this not
as advice but rather as how another practitioner is currently thinking.

If I had four hours for an OST event with 20 people I'd figure roughly
45-60 minutes for opening plus agenda plus marketplace - these elements
flow seamlessly and will each take more or less time depending on the
dynamics of the group that emerge. The more time that is needed for the
introduction to the purpose and theme of the meeting, the more likely it
would be 60 minutes. Then two 60-75 minute breakouts, and then 45-60
minutes for the closing.

I find that people tend to take their own breaks and they need not be
scheduled. Folks leave the first session "early" and arrive at the second
one "late". The four principles take care of the timing.

I ask the proceedings to be written down (I ask convenors to write on 22x28
posterboard using a marking pen, following the template TOPIC, CONVENOR,
PARTICIPANTS, OUTCOMES) and posted on the walls around the room. Anyone
with a laptop can input the proceedings to a word document and distribute
them by email or paper after the event. The contact information for each
participant can be included.

With a bit more time at the closing there may be a chance for a bit more
indepth reflection and commitments to followup. I hope you saw the Caucus
topic on convergence which Chris Corrigan suggested. Here's another idea
for followup I am experimenting with --

My new idea for groups that are loose networks rather than ongoing
organizations: at the start of the closing, participants take 15 minutes to
walk around the room silently and read the proceedings, and write their
names on a sheet of paper taped to the bottom of each posterboard for any
topics they wish to follow up with the convenor. The convenor can then
contact them or vice versa. I might draw a line halfway down the sheet of
paper to distinguish PASSIONATE interest (write name above the line, call
me right away) from CASUAL interest (write name below the line, keep me in
the loop.) Be sure these lists are also captured on the laptop.

Announcements and a closing circle could then wrap up the meeting.

I wish you well!
Jeff

-
Jeff Aitken