Request for examples from your expereince

Chris Kloth kloth at got2change.com
Thu Mar 29 14:53:15 PST 2001

After laying low for a long time to attend to family matters, I am happy to
finally have an opportunity to rejoin the list and to ask for your help.

In October I will be opening space for two days as the last part of a four
day event which will bring together paid and volunteer workers from
throughout Ohio who work with the Ohio Coalition on Sexual Assault and the
Ohio Domestic Violence Network.  This will be the first time people from
these groups will have met together.  At the national and local level there
are layers of differences that have made joining forces a challenge.  This
is a real opportunity for a major breakthrough!

Here is the wrinkle that I need your input on: there is a real tension
between the very low budgets and wages available to these organizations and
workers (a reflection of a deeper American cultural issue) and the high
value this work culture and funding environment place on professional
development, licensing. and accreditation.

The most common strategy for attending to this tension is finding ways to
award CEUs (Continuing Education Units) that are approved by the various
approving authorities for almost every gathering.  CEUs will be awarded for
most of the event in October.  While giving CEUs is not a requirement or
condition for doing the Open Space, it would be a real bonus and make it
easier for some important voices to participate.

I am clear that there is no intention to train people in the nature or
operation of Open Space Technology.  I am equally clear that there will be
deep and valuable integration and application of other learning from other
parts of the event and from their lives.  I believe that such learning is
worthy of CEUs, but obviously cannot predetermine who will learn what in a
way that lends itself to writing the type of behavioral objectives that
"approvers" of CEUs are familiar with.

While I have some thoughts on how I might approach this challenge, I suspect
some of you may have had experience addressing such a challenge.  I would
appreciate any suggestions, case studies or CEU applications you might have
used.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Kloth