Web based report discussions

Koos de Heer koosdhr at auryn.nl
Fri Jun 29 14:48:08 PDT 2001

> Would you be kind enough to assist me in identifying the issues that should
> be addressed in holding report discussions via the web?
> One thing I would like to offer is putting the reports on
> the web and inviting those who did not attend the session time to review and
> comment on the reports.

I have never done this yet, but the technology I would use is that of a forum. Forum
software is readily available and can be implemented by any reasonably experienced
webmaster. Some knowledge of scripting is essential. A good example of a forum is our own
worldwide open space http://www.openspaceworld.com/ by Michael Herman.

> (The objective would be to provide an opportunity
> for anyone interested in the topic to comment and make their comments part of
> the official report going to the board.)

For the comments to become part of the final report, editing will be needed. My experience
with forums is such that, while it is fun and interesting to follow the discussions while
they evolve, it is rather tedious to work your way through a long series of messages all
at once. So I would suggest that this is really a good idea only if you have both the time
and the resources (skilled editors) to do the editing into a readable report annex for
each report that is discussed on the web. You would also have to make it clear in the
online forum that comments posted after a certain time will not be included in the report.

Good luck,
Koos