Reflections on a challenging OST event (long)

Peggy Holman pholman at email.msn.com
Thu Jun 21 09:44:46 PDT 2001

Elena,

Just so you know, even if the list starts very slowly, it's okay.  The OS list started in mid-December, 1996.  It came into existence because Murli Nagasandaram, who still administers the list, took the initiative and just set it up.  I remember during the first months wondering if I should think up topics just to keep some traffic going.  I did that once or twice but because they didn't have much passion, it all felt forced.  Eventually, people just started finding it a good place to talk.

I still have all the messages, so I'm looking back at how it grew.  There were
10 messages from 5 people in December, 1996.
22 messages from 10 people in January, 1997.
15 messages from 7 people in February, 1997.
60 messages from 11 people in March, 1997.
34 messages in April, 1997.

I'd say it was probably about October when it seemed to have sufficient momentum that the idea would work.  I think the volume was a message or 2 a week.

On April 2, 1997, we had 34 subscribers.
October, 1997, there were 55 members.
By August, 1998, the number was 114.
By January, 2000, the number was 218.
June, 2000 - 292.
August, 2000 it dropped to 268.  That's the last number I've seen.

Anyway, you get the picture.  It may start slowy and it will move in its own time.

Peggy