Reflections on a challenging OST event (long)

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Thu Jun 14 11:29:08 PDT 2001

Lisa--

Isn't it crazy to discover how many layers I, as facilitator, carry around
about how things should be and what I ought to do about it when things don't
match my mental picture?  Open Space is an excellent spiritual practice for
me.

It may be that the different-than-usual sequence of events created some
confusion, though I think that it is equally possible that the participants,
without preconceptions about what ought to happen, were basically feeling at
home in the space, knew that the sessions would happen, so took the
session-announcing time to take care of their own need for food or a few
minutes with someone they especially wanted to talk to.  Since the ensuing
session worked really well, I doubt that they were "acting out."

Having to change rooms, or take down materials and put them back up again, or
having an undesirable room, are much more a problem for the facilitator than
for the group, who are likely to take it in stride.  If, as Harrison
suggested, the group takes responsibility for making the change, all the
better.  I had one workshop which was sunk by massive logistical problems,
but it was a workshop which should never have happened.  If it had been an
Open Space, it would have been a different story.

Be well, my friend,

Joelle