Reflections on a challenging OST event (long)

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 14 05:13:16 PDT 2001

At 01:03 AM 6/14/01 -0700, CHRIS CORRIGAN wrote:
>Just to answer Artur's question....I have had to change meeting rooms
>and transport a whole bulletin board....it worked fine, but then the new
>room had walls and so on but it was a lot smaller than the old room.

Room change is a nuisance, but in my experience, it is not fatal. In fact
it can add. Once in a two day Open Space we changed rooms three times! But
by the second time we had the operation down pat. Instead of grumbling
about the idiocy of the hotel (which was considerable) we organized a
massive parade (300 folks) carrying everything we needed. The fact that we
went right through the lobby made something of a point. And by the time we
made the third change we had added fifes and drums to the entourage. I
can't say the hotel management was pleased, but Open Space was alive and
well for sure. And everybody got the point that it is not so much the
destinations as the journey which counts. I suppose there was another
lesson as well -- it is always all about Spirit. Keep that moving and the
practical details seem to fall into place -- or change.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA