Novosibirsk reflections continued

Meg Salter meg.salter at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 11 16:34:08 PDT 2001

Thank you Elena, Birgitt - what a wonderful sharing.

I want to offer an observation, and perhaps a caution.
Way back in the 60's (!) I studied Russian in high school and university for
5 years. Then in the 70's, way before perestrioka, I spent a few brief weeks
in the USSR - both Russia and one of the republics (Soviet Armenia) The KGB
was very evident, the black market was thriving (blue jeans being a hot
item), the food was limited, but available. The society worked - sort of,
for some, and many paid a heavy price. A poet I met later committed
suicide - he could not find a way forward.

For those of you have read Spiral Dynamics (and Ken Wilber picks up on the
terms), the societ was heavy Blue - controlled by the state, paramount
obedience to authority, a sense of Mother Russia and the state being greater
than any one individual. That society is splitting at the seams - some
engaging in entrepeneurial opportunities (Orange), many regressing to a
fight to survive (Red). There is no question that they are in Open Space, a
time of great upheaval, potential for high learning, and high risk. It is so
wonderful that Elena, Birgitt and all are offering a vehicle for
transformation.

And I believe that is is important not to impose our own implicit cultural
assumptions on what is needed next. In North America, most can talk about
abundance because, next to most of the world, we have it. We can take a
certain basis of societal order for granted. Many Russians (and other
"developing groups" - at home and abroad) cannot. So I think it is really
important, in our work as facilitators of the life and growth process, to be
open to what needs to happen next - which the larger group will know. (I see
a parallel kind of things in people and organizations who have gone through
major downsizings.)

Anyway - food for thought - wonderful work, all of you!!

Meg Salter

MegaSpace Consulting
416/486-6660
meg.salter at sympatico.ca