Human Networks in Open Space

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 11 05:47:54 PDT 2001

Dear Murray and all others interested:
As a passionate and dedicated advocate and facilitator for work with story (and
OS!), I very much appreciated your article.  As you asked for review, I'd like to
add my thoughts and a story about some current work in this vein, to your
premise.  Please take what fits for you and leave the rest. Also, I humbly request
that you be patient with me as I share what I believe is my life work - it is
definitely a work in progress - a story not yet fully revealed and told!
I concur wholeheartedly with the major premises of your piece!  I also believe
that these ideas have not yet been fully realized or explored in the larger
world.  I admit that I am sensitive to any hint, however subtle, of judgement
concerning the exercise of 'control', as my personal healing and professional
experience as a practising Gestalt psychotherapist has taught me that the 'field'
inevitably picks up on this and entrenches itself deeper.  This is the root of
resistance - 'shoulds'.  So my touchstone has become - what is the profound story
of all the pieces? and, how is it genuinely attempting to serve the whole?
I believe that the stories we choose to tell (both the content and the tone) do
indeed shape culture (as Harrison so eloquently points out).  This choice, from an
interactive rather than reactive or even proactive position, requires a certain
amount of individual and organizational health (if we believe we have a choice, we
do).  The need for control that arises out of fear is often based on the incorrect
belief that your story and mine are mutually exclusive - someone must invariably
be 'wrong' and we have a vested interest in making sure it isn't us!
I have experienced dis-eased behaviour from both leadership and staff -
essentially stories which exclude, judge, and generally polarize (us against them,
good or bad, black or white).  The crux here, I think, is learning to deeply
listen to multiple perspectives on the same story (personally and
organizationally) and to play with creating them!  This is an exercise in both/and
and builds our tolerance for ambiguity and chaos while allowing us to exercise our
personal responsibility regarding the choices we make around our own perspectives.

Within OST, I have found that those on the 'control' side require our support in
order to trust the healthy life impulse in their environment and those on the
silent or disempowered side require challenge with regard to seeing and expressing
their passion bounded by responsibility.  Obviously, this is not hard and fast,
not either/or - both/and comes into play here.  It is just that, in my experience,
these are the under-represented aspects of working with each group.
Further, in order to get past our personal reactions to certain behaviours and
beliefs (lived stories and told stories), we are called to listen deeply to the
story behind the story...  So the need for control has a story behind it.  What
would engender such a set pattern of response?  Where did one learn to fear
ambiguity, chaos, etc..?  What definition of leadership/responsibility has been
laid upon you?  And from where did it arise?  How is it working?  What are the
benefits of holding to this belief?  What are the limitations?  These sorts of
questions, skilfully posed, and asked authentically from curiosity rather than
judgement, yield professional responses that fractally mirror personal experiences
- we are seamless, integrated beings - we work in all areas simultaneously.
Our firm is currently working with an umbrella agency that oversees addiction
prevention, intervention, and treatment in our province.  The great debate within
the field is total abstinence (based on the 'alcoholism as a disease' model and AA
Twelve Steps) vs. harm reduction (which can include social drinking).  This
internal split has resulted in lack of service integration and re-traumatization
(for both providers and clients).
In addition to using OST, we are also working to move the system beyond either/or
stories.  It is no surprise that this split is mirrored everywhere - client
service, personal health and growth of professionals in the field, the health of
agencies and the health of realtionships between agencies.
You may be aware of the fact that AA has a 65 year history of utilizing the power
of narrative for healing (drunks sharing with other drunks what it was like, what
happened, and what it is like now).  The approach is held, by many, as the most
effective treatment for addiction to date and yet there is still great dis-ease
amongst alcoholics/addicts and the people who serve them (by their own
admission)!  We contend (rather boldly and boy, oh boy are we out there!) that a
13th Step may be in order here:
Learning to really hear the stories of other traditions - honouring and including
them, and our own, while transcending the lot!  Our stories must not become the
means by which we close a system, if we are to remain healthy!
In our opinion, the healing power of story/narrative (in this context at least -
although we suspect this is true elsewhere, as well) is currently limited by the
pathology driven and self preoccupied ground of psychology and
spirituality/religion from which it arose early in the last century. It is our
intention to do our little bit (through story, OST, and others means) in assisting
those who care and dare in moving toward conscious evolution - claiming our
evolutionary and spiritual birthright to choose and create the sort of people we
want to be and world we want to live in.
So, as far as 'Human Networks in Open Space' go - I believe that their quality
will be a function of the strength of connection or relationship between the
parts.  Inclusion and, ultimately, transcendence is being called for here.  I
advocate a simple, natural means to do this that I believe almost everyone can
learn - always look for the 'beautiful and brilliant, creative adaptation within
your own story and those of others!  And then play together!
Thanks to all who have hung in long enough to read all of this - it has been
philosophical to be sure - and we'd be glad to share practical ideas with anyone
who has interest!
Warm wishes,
glory
Glory Ressler, B.A., Dip. GIT
Director, Avalon Consulting & Associates
Phone: (905) 937-2177
Fax:     (905) 937-1214
www.edgeofavalon.com
"...the edge where 21st century scientific insight and ancient storytelling wisdom
meet in the service of transformation and growth"