Human Networks in Open Space

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 11 05:58:56 PDT 2001

At 05:10 PM 6/11/01 +1000, Murray Willmott wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I have finally finished writing something which has been rattling around in
>my head since Harrison left in March. Good God..was it that long ago?
>
>Anyhow, I'd appreciate your review and constructive critcism. Rather than
>reproduce a lengthy email here, Ive put it up on the Web. From that page
>you can download a Word 4 Windows version if you prefer. Address is
>http://www.funnelwebinternet.com.au/userdir/mwillmo/networks.html

Murray -- I think you are definitely on to something.  Indeed your thoughts
fit well with my growing (heretical) belief that there is no such thing as
a non-self-organizing system. There are only mildly deluded people who
think they organized them (the systems). Anyhow, I think you are pointing
at a very central mechanism in the InterActive Organization -- which we
really need to pay attention to if we are concerned to have more than a
good event. You might also want to take a look at a book by Joel de Rosnay
-- The Symbiotic Man (McGraw Hill)
He doesn't know much about myth, but he has taken ideas about networks to
some very interesting places. Very much in the tradition of Kevin Kelly
(Out of Control). Another patch to scratch are all the folks who are wild
about "memes" (Richard Dawkins' "cultural equivalent of gene).. eg Susan
Blackmore "The Meme Machine"

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive