OST for meeting with clients

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 2 13:42:14 PDT 2001

At 09:01 AM 6/1/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Within a couple of weeks we want to organize a 'client-day' for our
>clients. Big challenge is to make it worthwhile for everybody. Instead of
>the dull presentations usually done at such a day I have convinced my
>management that OST will be the way to go. Is there any experience doing an
>OST for a group of clients; people who probably won't share a lot except
>being our client.

Looks like the bases have been pretty well covered, but I might add my 2
cents. Several years ago a major systems integration/development company
tired of doing the annual client "bash."  More exactly the clients
indicated that coming to another big dinner with talking heads was not on
their agenda. So they opted for a little Open Space. These folks made BIG
financial systems, as in VISA, CitiCorp, City of New York etc. So we did an
Open Space with the theme, "New Systems for the Financial world."

And guess what -- the clients put their wish list on the wall. (This is
called Market Research). Then the groups formed and started working the
issues. (This is called co-development). They even designed fundamental
architecture and we  had clients writing code for products they were
eventually going to buy. The VP in charge said he thought this was immoral
-- sort of like shooting fish in a barrel. I said I thought it might just
be good business. Get the customer to identify what they want, work on it
together, and then charge them for the work they did. (This is called
Smart) Sounds rather the easy ethics of an Open Space Facilitator. You know
the scam. Let the client do all the work, write the report -- while you go
and take a nap....

Should be fun.

Harrison

>Harrison Owen