cOSTa rica?

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 27 15:28:52 PDT 2001

Hello, dear.

I look forward so to playing and working and eating and telling stories
with you and Nuran.

I have a question -- a thought.

Since you were prepared to host a 300+ person conference in Open Space at
one time (I remember your wonderful sharing of thoughts and fears and
concerns and miracles!)...

...might you be interested in hosting next year's OSonOS in your fair
country?

Last year there was a great deal of concern about holding OSonOS in
diverse locations around the world so different people could make it to
some, if not to all.  I took it on as my special focus to connect with and
network with people in Central and South America and in Africa.  Partly
because I have done some work or travel in your country and some of those
others and mostly because I selfishly want to go back!!  But also,
seriously,  because we learn so much by visiting other peoples 'homes' and
learning in cultures in which we -- the so many of us who are North
American -- can listen and learn and feel and smell and touch cultures
that help us weave the world together.  And our moneys can stretch farther
so there are more of us who will be able to make trips to countries not
our own, rather than once again asking others with lesser income to try to
get to us.

Berlin was an amazing experience.  Especially to be so much in East Berlin
after the change in government and economy.  Much pain and hope, beauty
and richness.

I have been to Costa Rica, on a pleasure trip in 1989.  Much, I am sure,
has changed.  What I am sure has not changed is the warmth of the people
and the beauty of the land.

And you are there!

Here I am volunteering you.  But I just wanted you to think about it
before Vancouver, in case this was something you might want to do.  And
Laurel and Chris can tell you how much  (or how little) they are doing to
prepare our way and handle logistics.  I actually think that finding an
affordable, accessible *and* outside-inside site was essential, giving a
real sense for the food and the land during our stay, and much of the rest
they are letting unfold.  The rest happens in Open Space.

Now you can get mad at me for being this pushy American.

Warmly,

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Berkeley, California (which you will soon be visiting, for example, in
October, I hope!!!)