open space at the Moses Mendelssohn Highschool in Berlin

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at snafu.de
Wed Jul 4 21:16:59 PDT 2001

Hi there, Michael H.,
this highschool os was initiated by the principal of the school who
in turn had heard about the expanding power of os from two of his
teachers that had attended an open space on "Youth and Violence -
Lets learn from mediators" (200 teachers, social workers, mediators
and about 50 youths in March of this year).
Theme is "It is a joy to learn and work in our school".  Originally,
it was to be a 2 - day study event just for the teachers (German
schools have 2 days a year to run study days for all the teachers,
school is shut down during this time) but it became obvious that
under this theme students, parents, counsellors, the entire staff of
the school, people from agencies working with and in the school
(counselling centers for students of differing cultural background,
police, etc.) also needed to be invited.
Financing comes from different sources: donations, foundations,
school funds to pay for the catering (done by a catering unit within
the school that trains youngsters in gastronomy), the printing of the
proceedings (the school has its own small printing shop) and the
facilitation.
The event is scheduled for two days, Wednesday and Thursday (in a few
minutes I am off to drive to the school from the southern edge of the
city to the northern part), from 8:30 (we start with a half hour
break) till 4:30pm. This afternoon there will be the planning
phase(day three) with the proceedings being produced in the lunch
break.
There are 9 breakout rooms, an auditorium (remnant from an old school
that the present school was built around), a large hallway for the
food and news wall, our news room is in the life science room.....
There will be a follow up meeting in October for which I use my
standard 3.5 hour design that is based on the questions "What did we
decide to do back in July? What happened in the meantime? What are
the next steps? and to which everyone interested is invited.
So far, one of the main benefits is the participation of the
students. Having young people at an event makes it always very
special, much more down to earth and fun.
I am off
greetings from berlin
michael m

On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 16:44:12 -0500, Michael Herman wrote:

>hello michael,
>
>hope you'll say more when this is over about how and why it came to be
>happening.  theme?  sponsors?  how scheduled?  what purpose?
>expectations for where and why it might lead or continue?  who was
>invited?  i find it helps to have some of these details in hand in order
>to tell others that this kind of thing is possible...
>
>staying tuned, m

Michael M Pannwitz
Draisweg 1
12209 Berlin, Germany
FON +49 - 30-772 8000     FAX +49 - 30-773 92 464
www.michaelMpannwitz.de

To subscribe to the oslist, send the following message (and nothing but the message):
"SUBSCRIBE OSLIST" to listserv at listserv.boisestate.edu
SUBJECT field should be left BLANK