OSLIST FAQ version 1.0

Richard Holloway learnshops at rciti.com
Wed Jan 31 20:01:48 PST 2001

I support your expression of concern, Artur.  I also appreciated Chris'
attempt to "normalize" some behaviors.

I read all the posts...or at least part of all the posts...most of the time.
I delete all of the posts...sometimes before reading them and sometimes
after reading part of them but always I delete them sometime.  It goes with
my sense of autonomy--to take care of my self, but not necessarily at the
expense of someone else.

I do get frustrated when I'm downloading a large unsolicited file, but I
also know that some people don't understand the consequences of what they're
doing.  Fortunately, I pay very little for my internet activity.  A short,
personal, positive teaching email usually corrects those misadventures.
After getting a few hundred notes like that, the offending sender is usually
twice shy of repeating the offense.  (that was my personal experience).

I admit to being quite unhappy with virus spreaders and spammers.  In the
long run, though, I can solve those and other problems I may have by leaving
the list.  That old autonomy thing again.  So, in the spirit of the Law of 2
Feet, you and I are still here.  Hmmmm.  Perhaps that's the significant
normal behavior for an OS LIST.  Going or staying.

I generally don't like externally-applied rules, but (like most) I've
learned to get along with reasonable requests for restrictions or boundaries
on my behavior.  I agree with Artur that some of these are culturally
derived (though some may think them universal).  The only universal
principles that I can recall seem to be descendents of Agape (selfless
love).  It seems to me that respect, tolerance, patience, active listening,
and giving (to name a few of those principles or values) are needed in great
quantities in these list-serves...just as they are in F2F (face-to-face),
synchronous conversations.

Perhaps the OSLIST FAQ could be more inclusive (of cultural and language
differences) if we didn't fret about what we don't understand; and if we
could apply the children of selfless love in our OS relationships.  I guess
that that also means that I can bear to be criticized or to be ignored.

yours for self-organization and connections,

Doc

p.s.  Artur--your English (American?) was fine, and very superior to my
Portuguese (which is close to non-existent).

'Love is helping others to complete themselves'- Bill O'Brien (The Dance of
Change)

Richard Charles Holloway -
P.O. Box 2361, Olympia, WA 98507