OSLIST FAQ version 1.0

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Wed Jan 31 12:40:51 PST 2001

[sorry - no time for revision or English corrections...]

At 01:26 31-01-2001 -0800, Chris Corrigan wrote:
>Hi folks...
>
>Following is version 1.0 of the OSLIST FAQ.  It is what it is, and I'm
>happy to keep it up to date.  I'll send it out to the list every few
>months to keep things fresh, and maybe we'll post it in a few places so
>folks can see it.
>
>It's important to note that there has been no consultation with anyone on
>these questions and answers.  I just made them up myself.  In that spirit,
>any additions, deletions, corrections and revisions can go to me and I'll
>add them.

Hello Chris and all:

[Beginning with an Introduction:

1. I still have some problems with some mails I send (or not) to
this list, that I don't have with other international lists. I think
the problem cames from what I think (maybe wrongly) that is
a different perception between me and some other members
of the list about the meaning of "passion and responsability"
and "dialog". I think that all things, specially when they are
good - as the FAQ from Chris - worth being discussed and perfected.
But I sometimes fell that people understand as "criticism" and
"bad dialog" what I think is healthy "cooperative learning"
and "group convergence". So, Chris (and all) please understand
my comments as a contribution to make the text even better.

2. I think that a text that will clarify for ourselves and others what
the OSlist is (or any other that present the OS community to
the "world" - like for instance Michael Herman's Intro to
the OS site - shall be previously discussed and agreed in
the list and can LATER be updated by only one person with
the input he/she receives.

3. I think this is more important in our case that in some others,
as we are in a special case where the initiator of the method decided
to make it open and non proprietary. In my opinion, this gives to
us, not only freedom to use OST (and eventually make IN THE
PERSONNAL PRACTICE OF EACH ONE OF US adaptations,
changes or complements), but also some ethical responsabilities
for not misusing it, that I am sure we all respect, but also to be very
carefull that we can't be accused of it, speccially in what can
be seen as "representing the all community"(about the wife of Ceaser
it was said that it was not enough that she was honest; she should also
GIVE EVIDENCE that she was honest ;-)

4. I think that in "general introductory statements" that may "commit
the all community  we shall ONLY use concepts, references and
quotations that can be directly found in Harrison's books, or have been
agreed upon by the OS community (that is, BTH, the reason I am using
community and not mouvement ;-) .

5. I am not asking here for Harrison's agreement. For me this an ethical
imperative that I shall obey even if Harrisson disagrees or wants to
relieve me from it... I am suggesting we all obey to the same principles
in our "commun statements". Each one of us will comply to them
or not in his/her private practice and take responsability for it.

End of Introduction. Now some comments]

>Welcome to the OSLIST Frequently Asked Questions List
>
>This FAQ has been prepared to outline some of the “givens” around the OSLIST

- I don't remember (but I can be wrong) of ever seeing the concept, with or
without «"», in any of Harrison's books;

- I think "givens" come from a phylosophy of the world and of
the organizations (as ruled by a "superior" CEO) that some of
us don't share, and shoud be replaced by "limits" or "constrains",
and allways have in mind that they are "open constrains" because
when we open the space some constrains will change, even if to think
the contrary will be (wrong, but) confortable, to our clients.

- I think it is "conceptually wrong". Please follow me in a small
linguistic digression. Data as the same latin origin as the French
word "donnee" that translates to English in some cases as "data"
and in some cases as "given". Writing in French about scientific
data, Piaget wrote: "les donnees ne nous sont pas "donnees"; elles
sont "construites" 'a l'aide des theories qui nous permettent de les voir"
(quoted by memory). Translation: "data is not given to us;
it is a construct created by the theories (or pressupositions,
or beliefs) we use to "see" it". So there are no "givens" in any
situation. Speccially there are no "givens" in "self organizing open
complex systems" that are away from the equilibrium.

That is only my humble opinion; I am sure that I may be
wrong, and I am not questioning the right of any one to use the concepts
one wants. Only to suggest that in a common statement we comply with
common concepts.

>1. What is Open Space Technology?
>
>The short answer is

>“Open Space is based in the belief that organizations and communities run
>on passion and responsibility.  It allows groups of any size to
>self-organize around what they really care about to get things done.”  --
>Peg Holman
>
>“Open Space Technology is a natural communication process that recognizes
>that people take responsibility to pursue what they are passionate about,
>and it ensures that what is important to each participant will be
>discussed." -- developed by a small group during Birgitt Williams' Open
>Space training workshop in Halifax May 15-18, 2000

I would supress this two quotations because of the reasons
I mentioned before. They can be considered as "marketing" of
the reffered persons - which is NOT true, as they haven't been involved
in the writing. Apart from that, I don't think those quotations are
needeed as the following paragraphs are wonderfull and fully answer
the question.

>Open Space Technology was developed by Harrison Owen, a Maryland USA based
>consultant who was searching for a way to create better meetings after
>hearing that the best parts of a conference he organized were the coffee
>breaks.
>
>Open Space Technology meetings begin with all the participants sitting in
>a circle, and no items on the agenda.  The meeting opens with an agenda
>setting exercise following which the group self-organizes into smaller
>discussion groups.  Discussion group convenors are responsible for
>providing a report of the discussions, which is immediately added to a
>book of proceedings.  At the conclusion of the meeting, or very shortly
>thereafter, participants receive a copy of the proceedings including all
>of the discussion groups’ reports and any action plans that were developed.
>
>Open Space Technology meetings operate on four principles and one
>law.  The principles are:
>    * Whoever comes is the right people
>    * Whatever happens is the only thing that could have happened
>    * When it starts is the right time
>    * When it’s over it’s over
>

>And the law is known as the Law of Two Feet.  It states that “If you find
>yourself in a situation where you are neither learning or contributing, go
>somewhere where you can.”
>
>As a result, Open Space Technology meetings are characterized by
>self-organization and high degrees of freedom for participants.

!!!

(...)

>4. What is the etiquette for posting to OSLIST?

I would suggest this point to be divided in two different ones.The first about
"scope" or "subjects" and the second about netiquette.

About the first one:
>    * Questions about working with Open Space Technology
>    * Answers to relevant questions
>    * Stories about Open Space Technology meetings
>    * Poems (there is a regular poetry contest that happens every six
> months or so)
>    * Notices of upcoming Open Space Technology training or conferences
>    * Resource material that may be of interest to Open Space Technology
> facilitators
>    * Opportunities and calls for OST facilitators.
>    * Introductions from new subscribers
These are very good points about OST. In what concerns OST, I would
add

- Accounts on books and other theoretical questions that can help to
understand and practice OST

But I would also like to see a mention to OS in a more large sense,
including:

- Open Space Organizations (and here BTH a quotation from Birgitt
would be appropriated, I think)

- Other ways of "opening space" at an individual, organizational, community
or social level that are (or can be) connected with OST

(I only thought about these two - but maybe there are others)

The following are the nettiquete questions that I would reorder; and about
the first one, on language (sorry, Artur, I know you will not like this, but
I have to say it ;-), I would recomend that posts in other languages
that not English should be an exception...
>    * Posts in languages other than English are acceptable.  OSLIST has
> readers who speak German, Swedish, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish and
> French among others and items have been posted in all of these languages
> in the past.
>In general, OSLIST users seem to prefer that people avoid the following:
>    * Attachments.  Please either post these to a website and provide the
> link to the list, or ask people to indicate if they wish to receive them
> off list.
>    * Flaming.  We are a pretty congenial group, and flaming is relatively
> unknown amongst us.  It would be nice to keep it that way.  If you have
> negative things to say about individuals it would be appreciated if you
> could keep them off list.
>It must also be said that the jury is still out on small personal notes of
>appreciation or support to individuals.  Some feel that these are a waste
>of bandwidth and add to an increasingly heavy personal email load.  Others
>feel that personal messages of support sent to the list provide valuable
>affirmation to individuals by recognizing them within the worldwide
>community of Open Space Technology practitioners.  It’s best to use your
>own judgement on this.  If you do post notes like this to the list, be
>aware that the reception of others may be mixed.

fantastic way of putting it!!!

I have no other comments on the text. I think, Chris, you made a fantastic
job of putting it all togheter - making it easy to make some suggestions
for improvement.

Regards to all

Artur