shoemaker's children

Rachel Bolton rbolton1 at home.com
Sat Jan 13 13:26:04 PST 2001

- And (the last point, I promise...), I think that Open Space will dye if it continues to be "American (continent) only"; and I am quite concerned that other foruns are being created in national languages that don't report their discussions to this international forum and conduct people to have less time to this one.

Hello again.  I certainly seem to be jumping into these discussions with both feet :).

I just wanted to share an experience on the idea of OS being "American only".  When I was in Sweden taking the OS trainings there was a one day Open Space meeting with the theme being something about an exploration of what Open Space really is.  One of the topics that went up was about whether or not the name Open Space was too "American".  I was astounded to learn that when referring to Open Space in Swedish, they were still saying Open Space in English.  It never occurred to me that if the discussion was happening in another language that the words Open Space wouldn't be translated into that language.  I'm sure that the term might not translate well into other languages, but who can honestly say that the first time they heard the term Open Space that it made sense to them?  Perhaps some of the feeling that OS is too "American" comes from issues as basic as this?  The underlying principles of OS are universal aren't they?

As I'm sure that you already know, a new listserve came out of the trainings in Sweden, with the discussions happening in Swedish.  I think that this is a great way to foster community.  It is much easier to have discussions in your first language than it is to struggle with words in a language that you don't know as well.  And perhaps we can all work together to find a way to share these discussions in a way that is easy for everyone to understand.

Rachel Bolton