Dear OSLIST

Christoph J.W. Schmees cjws at gmx.de
Wed Jan 10 03:57:33 PST 2001

Dear Esther and Dear all,

>... Stuff happens and whatever
>happens is the only thing that could!

(So you deny the free will, and hence any responsibility of man? :-)

>... I would add another
>which is that when someone joins the list, it would be great if they could be
>prompted to introduce themselves and say how they came to be interested in
>open space.

Here we go:

In my first life I studied physics. And yes, this life continues. Once you
come in contact with the amazing miracles nature presents, you either go
home and do something else or you get hooked on it. The latter is true for
me. Looking at the stary sky by night still can send shivers down my spine.
Although, or because, I know about the laws that rule up there.
Particularly I know how limited our knowledge is, how little we really know. -

I have worked in industry for many years, dealing with computers and
automation. I did technical sales support, product management, marketing,
and management (better said: leadership) of multinational research
projects. And already a lot of consultancy to my bosses.

Very soon a new life raised it's head and grew. By and by it became that
large that it is going to take over now. Call it the natural life.
Everything that makes a human being a human being. Body, soul, spirit.
Emotions, feelings. I did a lot of education and practice on these fields.
Therapy, Tantra, a lot of work with men, a lot of various workshops and
trainings.

Now I am on my own, freelance, self-employed, you name it. I do consultancy
for IT (Information Technology) and telecommunication, and recently I have
begun to do consultancy, training and coaching for mamagement and leading
people.

My focal point is leadership. This touches basics like communication,
motivation and so on, and higher levels such as develop, live  and
transport a vision and a CI. What I find most intriguing is the issue of
leadership vs. self-organising systems. Or let me say, leadership *in*
self-organising systems.
What conditions are necessary to enable a productive chaos? What skills
does a leader need to create and maintain(!) those conditions? Where is the
right balance between control and let loose? Which factors determine this
balance?
My mission is to enable and support leaders to lead self-organizing
systems. I have done it myself to large extent in my job als a project
leader over a period of about five years, so I know what I am talking about.

And this is where ends meet. This is why I am interested in OST.

Christoph