episcopal churches?

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Jan 9 10:49:03 PST 2001

In a message dated 1/9/01 7:50:00 AM, chris at springbranch.net writes:

<< My sense is that, though it is a strong and indeed a vibrant
church, a number of their projects no longer match what has heart and
meaning for the church members. >>

Chris--

My story predates my experience with Open Space, but it responds to your
feeling that projects may no longer have heart and meaning.

A number of years ago, the church of which I was a member, as part of the
celebration of their centennial, asked me to help them write a mission
statement for their second century.  We convened a one-day meeting during
which we asked members to share their visions for the future of the church.
What became clear in this process was that church members had a strong desire
for community service, more than was reflected in current programs.  The
group collaboratively wrote a mission statement which more accurately
reflected their real desires.

The outcome has been a greater focus on service to the community, a
strengthening of existing programs of service and the development of new ways
of serving.  These changes have persisted through a change of pastors and
some conflicted times in the congregation.

Open Space would, I believe, be an even more powerful of allowing truths of
this kind to be shared out loud, in public.  Good luck with this project!

Joelle Everett