episcopal churches?

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 9 08:52:51 PST 2001

Hi Chris,
following my signature is an article I wrote a few years ago for a United
Church of Canada Leadership magazine. Hope it helps.

Blessings,
Birgitt
SEEING THE GOOD, TRUE, AND BEAUTIFUL IN EACH OTHER: process and decision
making within Church -Birgitt Williams, Spring 1998

As an independent organisational consultant I was pleased when I received a
phone call to do an article for Exchange, a leadership magazine that I very
much respect. However, when Mary Anne MacFarlane said that the editorial
board wanted an article about decision making, I knew I couldn't do it.  For
me decision making must be connected with good process, and I could not
write about one without the other. Fortunately, Mary Anne understood. What
follows are my recommendations about what is needed now within Church. I
write this at a time when I know that many of you  are very concerned about
your future viability as a Church and thus I emphasise my points from that
perspective

Is this article for you?
This article is especially  helpful to you if you discover that most of the
checklist below applies to your congregation:
Checklist #1: Identifying the Need. Check those items that are true for you
.
* over the last decade, the number of members in your congregation has been
decreasing
* over the last decade, the number of folks attending services on a Sunday
has been decreasing
* most of your membership is made up of people who are 55 years of age and
older
* most of the financial support for the work of your church is given by
those who are 55 years of age and older
* most of the work done within and for the Church is done by the same people
year after year
* a study has been done of the demographics of your congregation and there
is a projection to some year in the future when the congregation will not be
able to sustain itself if something isn't done (in other words, there is a
predicted time of financial death for your congregation)
* there are a few people who control everything that happens within the
Church
* there are people who have left and no one understands why
* new families don't seem to join, even though some of them do come out on a
Sunday
* young people seem to leave the Church in their teens and they don't come
back, except maybe to please mom and dad at Christmas and Easter. These same
young people were brought to Sunday School on a regular basis and as
children had a very active life within the Church

You know that the items on the checklist and maybe a few others besides have
been plaguing you for years. You have likely discussed them at meetings,
listened about them during the service, and discussed them further in your
own homes.
You have already tried so many remedies!
People have also told me the stories of what they have collectively done to
try to address their fear of  the decline and death of their church. In many
cases, there have been great sacrifices and compromises made. The people
that I have talked to generally agreed that change was needed

>From these discussions, I developed the following checklist of the ten most
common efforts for improvement  and invite you to check off that which
applies to your situation.

Checklist #2: solutions that have been tried to bring about new life in the
Church
* the liturgy was changed so that more people participated in it: there was
more intentionality about involving women and children in liturgy
* there was a determination to use more inclusive and enlivening music
* investment was made in music including new hymn books, new organ, new
organist, new choir director, new choir gowns
* a coffee time was added after service to encourage people to meet each
other
* new staff were hired who were charged with specialities such as youth
ministry
* name tags were created, people were encouraged to wear them, and greeters
were assigned on a rotating basis to make sure that people felt welcome at
the Service, especially new people
* a children's time became an important part of the Sunday service.
* invitations were extended to bring different, and more people onto
committees and the Board
* there was intentional reaching out into the neighbourhood to encourage
more people to come to church
* there was a financial campaign to encourage more people to become part of
the financial well being of the Church in a meaningful way

>From the changes that you have made, I believe that you have noticed many
differences. I know that people express a stronger sense of feeling closer
to God in the service when the liturgy is done well and when the music
reaches them. People in congregations where there is a coffee hour have much
more enjoyment in being at their Church than those who do not have this
experience. So...in the short term, some gains have been made.
But have we done enough?
I now ask you to look once again at checklist #1. How many of these items
(and others that you have added) still apply to your situation (whether
Congregation, Presbytery, or Conference).  In my experience with you, most
of them still apply despite the changes. I hear story after story of new
families (or returning folks) having given your Church a try again. They
come for a while. Then they leave again. These will be the ones that will be
very hard to reach again. "Is Church just not meaningful enough for them?" "
Does the liturgy or the music need more improvement?"" Do they not want
God?" These are the questions I hear from leaders within Church. I also hear
blaming. "They are just from a generation that is too self-centred." "They
came to take from us but were not prepared to put anything into this
congregation." "They have no wish for God in their lives." "They just don't
understand that it is important to come to church." "They just weren't
prepared to try to fit in." "We made them welcome. What more could we do?
They just didn't try." "They want the Church to be there for them when they
need it - baptisms, weddings, etc. - but otherwise they don't want to be
involved."

Is there something we have missed doing?
We have paid attention to the what, where, when, why of Church, but with the
exception of the time we spend together during a service, we are erring
badly on How we are as Church. I think that it is time in our story, in our
evolution as Church to pay attention to this How. It is my belief that it
may well be that in looking at this How we might find the solutions we are
looking for towards a healthy future as Church. It is my experience in both
the corporate and non-profit sectors, that the organisations that work hard
at their How are the ones that are successful and positioned for future
success.

How: The Setting

Imagine entering a meeting. The setting could be the sanctuary where there
are fixed pews to be seated at, and the meeting leader(s) are at the front.
The fixed seating reduces opportunity for communication. Those leading the
meeting from the front intimidate some people, maybe as a carryover from our
school days. This same setting would be true if chairs were set up in rows,
with the leader(s) at the front. Now imagine entering a meeting where chairs
are set up around a large table. The leader sits at the end. There is more
opportunity for communication here, but it is clear where the position of
power for the meeting is.  The table brings a sense of formality that
usually has the effect of limiting creativity and spontaneity. Now imagine
the setting for the meeting being one where the chairs are arranged in a
circle, no table, with the leader of the circle being in the circle with
everyone else. We have learned from indigenous peoples throughout the world
that this setting is the natural and best form for communication and
creativity. And isn't maximum communication and creativity that which will
bring us the best solutions for our work and our future?

How: The Process
I have been to one too many meetings in which the Chairperson starts the
meeting by saying that we have a heavy agenda to get through and we need to
stay task and time focused. There is sometimes the opportunity to add to the
agenda, amongst disapproving looks because time is already of the essence.
There is rarely a chance to change the agenda that has been circulated. The
meeting thus focuses on items that may no longer be the pertinent one of the
moment because the agenda was mailed out weeks ago. And as though this
weren't bad enough, person after person reads their reports to the group.
The reading time often takes the majority of the meeting time. People do not
get a chance to speak because time for discussion is thus reduced. The
untapped resources amongst the persons in the room, unexpressed, are
staggering. Imagine where we would be if we had tapped into them. Imagine a
meeting in which the process assumed that the agenda could really be fleshed
out at the meeting, that items which were just as easily put into written
reports were pre-circulated and read, and that the majority of the meeting
time was spent in discussion to take advantage of the expertise in the room.
Processes are available to do this, and most of them are designed to ensure
that Spirit, playfulness and fun are given room to emerge.
How: Needs of Adults
The learning needs of adults have been well researched. Some of the most
accepted work in this regard has been done by  Kolb. Adults learn in four
different basic ways: through concrete example, active experimentation,
reflection, and active conceptualisation.  Meetings consist of learning,
communicating, and decision making. Learning is a critical component meaning
that successful meetings need to have information presented throughout them
that caters  to every one of the four learning styles. When we do not do
this, we are usually only reaching 1/4 of the people in the room depending
on the learning style being used. Or, and this is even more upsetting, only
people with the learning style that a particular meeting format is catering
to will keep going to those meetings (it is my belief that this is one of
the reasons we lose people and they don't come back).
As well, other well accepted theorists such as Myers and Briggs help us to
understand that some of us are extroverts and some of us are introverts. We
need to be sure that both extroverts and introverts get an equal chance of
having input to the meeting. A simple technique to achieve this is to ensure
a minute of silence as each new topic is being considered (or after a report
if there is one) during which all persons are to reflect and write down
their thoughts. This stops the extroverts from charging ahead without
thinking and gives the introverts a chance to process their thoughts and get
them into the discussion. I cringe when I think of all of the good ideas
from introverts that never had a chance to be entered into the discussion.

It is my belief that by ensuring  that adult learning needs are met, and
that introverts have a chance to get their viewpoints out without being too
frustrated to even try,  we will find the solutions that we need to whatever
challenges face us. I have great belief in "the wisdom in the room" when we
come together. It is our job to make sure this wisdom gets enabled.
 How: Decision Making
Most groups within Church use one of two methods of decision making:
Robert's Rules of Order for process that has a 51% majority vote or
consensus decision making. From my experience, there is growing evidence
that neither of these access the best of group behaviour with the best
decisions made. Robert's Rules of Order encourages diverse points of view,
and if used well encourages people to speak their viewpoint, and then brings
matters to a vote.However, often this method is not used well and a few
persons with rigid strategies and points of view control the meeting. A
majority of 51% usually leaves people divided and continuing to defend their
point of view in hallways or at gathering places after the meeting. I have
listened to a number of people who have resigned from Boards or committees
because they could no longer condone the behaviours that they experienced.
In my experience, not one of these people who resigned had the courage to be
honest with the group about their real reason for resignation.  It is
something in the dynamic of the process and the decision making that causes
these adults to be afraid to state what is true. Quite what that is, I don't
know, but it is certainly what I have witnessed many times.

I find that consensus decision making does not fare much better. The
intention is good, there is opportunity for lots of discussion and debate
until the group wisdom is reached for decision. If it is done well. The
problems arise from the group behaviour over a period of time when consensus
decision making is used. The danger of consensus is that while the core
group appears to get on famously, individuals become afraid to speak up. It
usually remains unspoken, but the danger of consensus is that anyone that is
seen in opposition to the larger group is seen as "bad". Gossip starts in
the hallways and parking lots about that person trying to cause harm to the
group.  The easy route to go with consensus decision making the way it is
often done is to vote with the group and voluntarily suppress contrary
opinions. It may be that one of those contrary opinions if expressed would
have "saved the day".

The method of decision making that I have come to prefer because it allows
for us to have differences, while keeping us out of these traps is the 80/20
majority vote. Within the context of best process possible as described
above, when it comes time to make a decision, folks have had the opportunity
to explore the information they need, express their ideas and try them. At
that point, matters can be brought to a vote. If everyone agrees ahead that
all votes will be carried by an 80% majority, they also are in agreement
that it is okay if there is 20% disagreement. People feel permitted to
disagree and know they won't harm the group or themselves. If 80% is not
reached, there is no convincing to be done by debate. The position to be
voted on can be reframed and put to another vote. In this process the group
as a whole has a sense of the temperature as a whole of the group and knows
if it is worthwhile reframing a position to achieve a majority vote. If the
vote is close, people usually find that it requires only a bit of adjustment
and compromise to redevelop the position to the satisfaction of the
majority.  A way to add fun to the process is to give each person coloured
cards to vote with. Green with a thumb pointing up; red with a thumb
pointing down. When a wave of green or red goes up, the visual impact of the
message is pretty clear..
My Bias
Of all of the methodologies that I have learned, been trained in, or
experienced over the years, the one that I prefer is Open Space Technology.
Much of what I recommend comes from the learning that I have done with
Harrison Owen who designed Open Space Technology, Larry Peterson who is a
colleague in the Open Space Institute of Canada, and my own developmental
work in sustaining an organisation using Open Space Technology as a way of
maintaining a high achieving en-Spirited organisation.
Recommendations
1. Have a celebration inviting all folks within the Church and the
neighbourhood (you never know who is interested) acknowledging that the way
Church business has been done is ending and that a new way is forming. A
storytelling circle is a great way of doing this. Folks will come forward
with their stories of both good and bad memories, that need to be
acknowledged. Great healing of old wounds is possible in this
acknowledgement. You will likely be surprised at old hurts and old prides
that you didn't even know had made such an impact.
2.  The following day  have a well-facilitated meeting identifying "the
Givens" "the non-negotiables" within your Congregation ( Presbytery,
Conference). Invite to the meeting all of the folks that you believe have a
stake in your Congregation (members, the Minister(s), adherents, neighbours,
and so on). Collectively you need to develop a list of those items that you
deem essential for running your Church.Sometimes this has to do with policy
of the United Church of Canada, or through your own policies or by-laws. The
list is likely to start out quite long. Now, narrow the list down to what is
truly non-negotiable, not just what has always been the status quo. This
actually is a lot of hard work but it is my experience that when this step
is done well, many future problems are reduced/removed.. An example of  a
"Given" is that we had to have an organisational structure. It  is not a
"Given" that the structure has to remain hierarchical. Reduce the number of
"Givens" for the business of your Church down to the lowest possible number.
Determining your "Givens" is best done using the leadership of an external
facilitator to assist with objectivity and to use good process practice
ensuring that one or two don't "run the show".
3. Then declare that everything else in the way that business is done in and
for the Church is open for creativity, input, and negotiation. Give the new
ideas permission to come through. Create committees and task forces to deal
with the business that your group thinks is important for your life at this
time and into the future. Use the principle of form follows function. Get
rid of the dinosaurs and sacred cows that are no longer needed. And do not
create new ones in the process! The best way to ensure that you are keeping
this work refreshingly alive is to have all committees and task forces
mandated for no more than one year. At the end of the year, the committees
and task forces need to come before the congregation for a clear
remandating. At this time, they will be in healthy competition with new
opportunities for work that may be generated at this time. (This is
different from the token voting done at annual meetings supporting the work
of the committee). Creation of maximum time frames by which a person can
serve on a committee is also a good "rule of thumb".
4. Keep inviting more people into your process, whether they are members of
your Church or not. Neighbours may be pleased to be asked for their advice
and will likely be surprised at your acknowledgement of them. What about the
business around the corner that is always angry because you use their
parking lot? Who else should you invite to at least one meeting for a
particular purpose? The "rule of thumb" here is to keep inviting and never
stop.

5. Design a meeting process that allows for maximum participation, maximum
use of the wisdom in the room, maximum use and recognition of the gifts that
each individual brings. It is important to look after the best set up in the
room (a circle of chairs with no table to get in the way of communication is
best)

.Remember to be sure that introverted types are not silenced by extroverted
types and that process has met the learning needs of those who need  theory,
active experimentation(story, role playing), concrete experimentation (small
group working through real situations), and/or  reflection time to function
at their potential. It is hard work to do good meeting design to achieve
this, but the payoffs are worth it.
6.Agree on a decision making process that will move your work forward
quickly while at the same time  honouring a diversity of opinions. Within
that process, a majority rule of 80% usually works well.
7. Much of the work now done by committees,  Boards and so on could easily
be done by individuals if they were given the authority by the group to do
so. Pay attention to what the group really needs to make decisions about
together, and what they can authorise someone to do. That authority can be
given with some "governing policies" to ensure that the individual knows
clearly the will of the group and what the "Givens" are for the work to be
done.

Underlying all of this is the understanding that each individual has much to
contribute. Each individual is good, true, and beautiful. Each individual is
capable of being a leader. God has made us that way. It is up to us to
design our processes and our decision making in such a way that we can take
full advantage of God's gifts among us.

Resource 9.2 of Dalar Associates
24